Goldenrod

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have been asked to make a goldenrod soap. The essential oil is very expensive and I haven't found a dupe FO. I could infuse olive oil with goldenrod. What else could I do to make it smell like goldenrod?

Yes, I have seen soap made from goldenrod-infused olive oil and goldenrod tea. But I don't think that would impart much fragrance into the soap. Goldenrod has a unique smell I'd like to duplicate. Not sure what else smells like it.

Based on my experience, infusing an oil with something does not make the soap smell like that thing. Neither does a tea or using the ground material. I'm afraid the EO is it. How big of a batch do they want? How much of the EO is safe for soap? Maybe it would be doable for just the one batch. Or, better yet, explain the extra cost and let them know how much more you would have to charge to cover it.

From what I read, if you crush the blossoms, it smells like anise or licorice with a sweet note. If it were me, I would try a blend of anise, orange (sweet), and lavender (herbal). EO Calc has 2 blends.

I would play with a blend of orange, lav & star anise and then add the EO you have to anchor it. It "mind smells" right to me and probably the best you can do given the expense of the goldenrod EO. ;):thumbs:

HTH ans GOOD LUCK!

Great, thanks for the feedback, Zing. You find that that blend "sticks" in CP soap? Thanks again, I'll try it.
I'm bad at describing scents but I really liked it. I'm not a huge fan of using any of these essential oil alone by itself (orange, cedarwood, anise, lavender) so I was really pleasantly surprised at how much I liked this blend. In general, I use all the high end recommendations from eocalc -- except for peppermint which I use low to medium -- it's a tingler.
In the past I had issues with citrus eo's sticking but have had real good luck with the 5X and 10X versions -- adding litsea cubeba helps as well.
[:secret:Also, pro tip: type the at sign - @ - before a member's name which will bring up their icon for you to select. That way I'll get a notification and won't miss a post that has my name in it. ]

Latest posts

Back