Goat's Milk Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaccart789

Reaction score
Two questions...Do you insulate your goat's milk soap? Can I add the milk in the oils and do a water discount (if that is correct terminology)?

I will be putting mine in a wood mold. This is only my second time making a milk soap. The first time I froze the milk. This time I was thinking of adding it to the oils, like I have done successfully with yogurt. Will this be ok or am I setting myself up for failure?

Thank you in advance!

I love milk soapies! Now I use canned dairy milk, yogurt & honey and allow my soap to gel in a wooden mold, but I like the ivory color of milk soaps...others prefer not to gel and the soap stays whiter...f/o can also discolor.

I split my liquid amount in half...the water half I add the honey to completely dissolve, then add the lye...I let everything get to room temp or sometimes chill everything, especially if I know the f/o is a super-heater.

Okay, I add the lye mix to the oils, get a light trace, then add the other half liquids (milk & yogurt) at medium trace I hand stir the f/o in and pour into mold...the batter is usually beginning to heat up, so I leave it for about 1/2 hour, then add card board piece over mold and then a towel on top...I set a kitchen timer every half hour & check to make sure it's not getting too hot...if it does, then leave off the top to cool down.

My mold holds 36 oz oils...HTH!

I do the same as heartsong but don't gel so I don't cook out the FO. But that depends on you, I've done it both ways and like it. Milk soaps are great. I also use canned goats milk i get from walmart.

Definitely! I was attempting my first in the pot swirl but my soap traced very quickly and I barely got it in the mold, so one color it is. It was suppose to be a pretty blue color but now it looks like an ugly green, maybe the heat will turn it nice. We will see... I just hope it comes out. I did everything you suggested, fingers crossed! :-o

Again thank you!

Milk soaps can move pretty fast...I either leave them the natural ivory color or maybe use one color...I don't make fancy soaps, tho I wish I could...these are mostly friends & family...another thing you can do to lighten the color a bit is add water soluble titanium dioxide before adding the lye...let me see if I can find a recent pic...back in a second.

Well a large crack down the middle. In the freezer it went. I tried to fix it with saran wrap that I saw a soap maker do on youtube. It doesn't look awful but its not as pretty as I like.

Great idea on the titanium!

Thanks for that tip Ann Marie! It definitely started really heat.

Last edited:
For my dairy milk batches when I split the liquids in half, I add the honey, then the titanium dioxide & stick blend very well, then add the lye...the whipped soap pic didn't have any TD...the f/o I used is sweet nectar which discolors, plus I used a bit too much ground oats...will use a lighter hand next time.

If you really want to slow things down with milk soaps, then chill in fridge then soap...more time to work with it...when I get home i'll take a pic of my last batch of soaps...even with a discoloring f/o they are a pretty ivory golden color.

things like this just take a lot of tinkering until you get it just right...ask me how I know :)

Oh those are SOOOO BEAUTIFUL!!!! Do you use water and titanium?

Just re-read this...Titanium dioxide is a powder which you incorporate into the water.

There is WATER soluble and there is OIL soluble...make sure you get the water soluble if you buy some.

Latest posts

Back