Goats milk powder

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yes the split method is as toxicon described. 1/2 of the water to mix the lye and 1/2 the water to mix the milk. Look on the milk box for the amount of powder you need. If total water is 1 litre use enough milk powder to make 1 litre of milk.

I use CPOP but turn the oven off before putting soap in and haven't had a problem.

I'm with DeeAnna and even mix my milk powder in warmed water (from the recipe amount) to ensure it dissolves completely before adding to oils then I SB it thoroughly before adding the cool lye solution.

So many posts about spots in soap and they are either GM or inadequately heated hard oils.

I made both batches of GM soap yesterday. I cut them this morning. The first soap was done with the split method, 1/2 water, 1/2 reconstituted powdered GM. I soaped at room temp (in the 80's so technically not room temp but much cooler than my norm) It seemed to soap well, as with all my soaps I had to put it on a heating pad on medium to coax a gel. I did not have any overheating problems at all. I checked it every 10 minutes and could see it gelling to the edges. I tried to overcome the color with white on the bottom and purple on the top, this didn't work out so well for me. I should have just left it natural but I wanted to at least try. It's scented with lavender FO.

The second soap is GM powder added to the oils and blended well with the SB, soaped at around 105 and I actually did leave the GM powder to soak up oil while the lye and oils cooled off. This also soaped very well, no issues, did not try to color and is scented with coconut FO and peppermint FO. I saw this combination somewhere on the forum and decided to give it a whirl. Both batches have 1 oz of colloidal oatmeal.
No overheating issues with this one either, still had to do the heating pad on medium for 90 minutes.

Now for the cutting. Is it normal for there to be an odor when cutting the soap? That seems to be gone now, but it was not real pleasant at first. The one with the purple top smelled like a perm at a beauty shop to me. After a few hours that seemed to be gone and I can smell the FO's in both, although not very strong.

I would say I liked both methods of soaping with the GM, I want to thank everyone for their input and advice :)

IMG_20170218_082844640.jpg

IMG_20170218_083138707.jpg

So the second method left some small spots on the soap is that right?

I don't go hotter than 100* when CPOPing and I turn the oven off immediately I put the wrapped soap in. I have avoided the sour milk smell and dark colour that others have reported doing it this way.

penelopejane, no I don't have spots in the soap. I have oatmeal in the soap, maybe that's what you are seeing. They both smell quite nice this morning. I think I'll make one today and put it in the freezer to avoid gel and see how that turns out.

penelopejane, no I don't have spots in the soap. I have oatmeal in the soap, maybe that's what you are seeing. They both smell quite nice this morning. I think I'll make one today and put it in the freezer to avoid gel and see how that turns out.

Oatmeal! Got it. :) :)

I think a heat pad on medium is too high. You only need to start the soap at 100* and let it cool, wrapped, by itself. If you overheat soap it gets a musty chemically smell that never goes away.

Oatmeal! Got it. :) :)

I think a heat pad on medium is too high. You only need to start the soap at 100* and let it cool, wrapped, by itself. If you overheat soap it gets a musty chemically smell that never goes away.

That's good to know. I have never been able to tell is most of my soaps gel, if they are textured on top with glitter it's hard for me to see so I just keep warming them. I don't like the partial gel. I have never had that musty smell that you mention, do you think that's just GM soap or all soaps in general?

I dint notice that any one answered about fragrance in your gm soap. I use fragrance most of the time. My one friend loves for me to part a lot of peppermint in her! It smells wonderful!

Your soaps look really nice, good job!

Thank you Pepsi Girl! One of the soaps, the one with no color has a combination of coconut and peppermint. I can't really smell the coconut but I can really smell the peppermint. They smell pretty good now, at first not so much.

That's good to know. I have never been able to tell is most of my soaps gel, if they are textured on top with glitter it's hard for me to see so I just keep warming them. I don't like the partial gel. I have never had that musty smell that you mention, do you think that's just GM soap or all soaps in general?

All soap.

If you add the milk powder directly to the oils, be aware there is a chance that you'll could end up with white lumps of milk powder in the soap, even if you SB well. :think:

After one memorable lesson that taught me that fact, I mix the powder with water or fluid milk, SB really well, and let it sit for awhile to hydrate. And I also strain the liquid to be absolutely certain before adding to my oils. The shortcut of adding the powder directly to the oils isn't all that much of a time savings, and the consequences of of white lumps dotting one's otherwise nice soap are really really annoying.
Hello ma'am,
I'm gonna make a baby bastille soap this week. I would like to replace the water portion with cow's milk and add goat milk powder too. Before freezing the milk, can I add the powder to the milk, mix well and then freeze?? If so, how much powder should be added per pound of oils?? Should I strain the lye solution before pouring it into the oils??

A month back, I made the same soap without goat milk powder. While adding the lye to the frozen milk, the fats in the milk started to saponify. While I strained the solution, most of the fat particles just got strained out.

I used split-method with great success.

In cooled lye/50% water mixture, I added my honey.

In other 50% water, I added my GM powder.

And at trace, I added my colloidal oatmeal.

Immediately after pouring, I threw it into the freezer for 24 hours. Then fridge for 24 hours. Then room temp for the rest of curing.

I ended up with a beautiful cream-coloured ungelled GM soap!
Thank you for sharing. Am going to try this method

Back