goats milk flax seed

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So my first soap was testing fragrances. This is soap batch two. Goats milk with flax seed and omh fragrance with a hint of saffron honey.
So I thought I'd mention to all looking on a good gm technique....I used the gm to oils method. This recipe called for 130grams water, so I took 60 grams water, added 1 tablespoon ppo of sugar to it and fully dissolved. I put 70 grams of canned evaporated goats milk into the fridge to cool. Since more milk than water, it is slightly concentrated milk once it reconstitutes (the can called for a 1:1 ratio of milk to water to reconstitute).
I added lye to the sugar water, cooled to about 100degrees or so and added it to the oils. Pulse blended twice. Then added the cold nonfrozen milk. Stick blended. Panicked because I got "the smell" so I submerged the batter bowl into a cool water bowl. It didn't overheat. It didn't turn real yellow nor turned orange. The smell dissipated and is no longer noticeable.

I used omh fragrance, and it seems to have discolored a slight off white light tan color, and I also used 1/4 tsp TD in the batch. The omh was wsp, and I like it good enough....people seem to really like bb omh, but it seems in pictures on the site bb omh discolors darker than what mine turned out. I was going for a creamier look, but what can you do when fragrances discolor. Didn't want too much td (trying to avoid glycerin rivers). My total fragrance was less than 1 oz ppo, and in this case I might have gone to a full oz because it isn't real strong smelling.

I did not pour the top layer onto a spatula first, so the backside of two soaps have a broken pencil line. Always lightly onto a spatula first next time!

Oh, I was worried I had too much so I poured a round bar into an open silicone cup, and the shavings I cut made awesome gm balls for a future recipe! This mold is the loaf by bb which holds no more than 20 total oz of soap...tiny but awesome for a beginner!

Oh last thought, when using oats people recommend 1 tablespoon ppo...I used flax seed and I could've gone higher with it. It's smaller are more fine, not as thick as oatmeal I believe.

I really wanted to talk out what I did and learned, so other newbies may learn from my experience:)
Just thought I'd share some of my experience I learned as well as the soap pics!

IMAG1557.jpg

IMAG1561.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice soaps! I love the mica top it adds just the right touch. The pencil line looks great, sorry it broke on two slices, but hey lesson learned right, and it could have been a lot worse. Congratulations!!

Last edited:
Yes, couldve scortched...been lye heavy...volcanoed...all my fears lol. Thx. I am more interested, now that it's completed, in seeing how it performs and whether or not it's drying, slimey, bubbly etc.
I had the copper mica and thought the color palate would work with the earthy tan of the soap and cocoa powder line.

Latest posts

Back