Goat Milk Soap - Good for you or just good for the label?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Natural coconut water has sugars in it, and it's pretty well accepted that sugars improve lather, so I'd say coconut water could improve the lather. I haven't tried it to know for sure, however.

Other benefits? I'd say mainly that fun to try? Otherwise, I don't have a clue if there are any.

Even though goat milk may not add any special properties, it's still fun to use liquids other than water. I like to use beer, coffee, goat milk...whatever. It's fun, makes fun labeling and people seem to like them.

Do you realize you're adding extra coconut oil when you add coconut milk to your soap? Coconut oil is the source of most of the calories in coconut milk.

Here is an article I wrote with photos of nutrition labels for 2 brands of coconut milk. Fat is 70% to almost 90% of the total calories in these two brands.

If you don't want to add any more coconut oil, then you'd want to use coconut water rather than coconut milk.
I have used coconut water to replace distilled water 100% and I still believe that coconut milk makes the better soap.

Even though goat milk may not add any special properties, it's still fun to use liquids other than water. I like to use beer, coffee, goat milk...whatever. It's fun, makes fun labeling and people seem to like them.
Sure it is and it's a great way to catch a customer's eye BUT for too long, people have gone on believing that goat's milk soap has some special qualities that make it better than "ordinary" cold-process/hot process soap.

Sure it is and it's a great way to catch a customer's eye BUT for too long, people have gone on believing that goat's milk soap has some special qualities that make it better than "ordinary" cold-process/hot process soap.
...and unofficially, it is good for your skin. Every where you turn, there is something good for your skin; aloe, vitamin c, vitamin a, collagen, glycerin... on and on and on... You can't make that claim with your soap though, unless you want to get into the FDA rules.

Hi I’m in college rn and I was actually having a similar discussion with my chemistry type major friends. To explain I’ll tell a story: there was apparently a dangerous lab that occurred where they were using 10M-concentration measurement- of a weak acid. A girl got it on her skin and had to strip naked and use the lab shower for 15 minutes. She still got a burn. In soap making, we tend to use 10-16M NaOH, a very strong base, if getting that on your skin would cause a nasty burn-I speak from experience lol-, what would it do to goat milk over hours and hours? A common misconception is that soap additives give all these super duper skin loving properties, but honestly most of them are literally burned away. Even then they exist at around < 1%. Soapqueen has a good breakdown on how certain oils contribute to the end outcome of the soap in terms of lather, cleansing and integrity. I believe most of these are purely cosmetic effects.

Latest posts

Back