Go home, soap. You're drunk.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
http://www.webinnate.co.uk/science/images/rc055.jpg
http://www.webinnate.co.uk/science/week1.htm

great visuals here on cabbage juice as an indicator.
(I'm surprised cabbage and vinegar was blue and not red, unless you put baking soda in it too?)

I have dyed eggs with red cabbage and a bit of vinegar to get that gorgeous deep blue color, and tried to figure out how I could color a soap the same color. If you don't mind my asking, did you use red cabbage juice or a powder?
I'm so sorry folks :-?
"like red cabbage and alkanet" it also says so above the 2nd picture...

The soaps are coloured with alkanet root (infused in olive oil).
This was an experiment.
Alkanet root is a deep crimson red.
When the lye hit the fats, the colour changed to a bright ultramarine blue.
The CP soap gradually turned violet during the saponification process.

At first the colour in the HP soap faded somewhat, but kept in the dark, it mostly stayed a bluish violet.

To another part of the HP soap I added a bit of a citric acid solution; the soap turned a reddish purple. Eventually, it lost all colour.

It became a sad and ugli sight.......
Foto-STHZTWRV-G.jpg

Im not sure if red cabbage will perform the same - it's a different dye (anthocyanins). I think it may turn yellow/orange at first.
But both will fade in UV-light.

Again sorry for the confusion!

oh! I see. so you were saying "red cabbage and alkanet both do that" and then your soap was alkanet (but NOT cabbage)? Don't apologise, it's not incorrect, just one of those things that can be read two ways, and we both wandered off down the "hey that soap has cabbage and alkanet" way, while you were looking over at your soap. ;) Back now! (And I still like the cabbage pH scale I found, so it's all good!) :D

I'm so sorry folks :-?
"like red cabbage and alkanet" it also says so above the 2nd picture...

The soaps are coloured with alkanet root (infused in olive oil).
This was an experiment.
Alkanet root is a deep crimson red.
When the lye hit the fats, the colour changed to a bright ultramarine blue.
The CP soap gradually turned violet during the saponification process.

At first the colour in the HP soap faded somewhat, but kept in the dark, it mostly stayed a bluish violet.

To another part of the HP soap I added a bit of a citric acid solution; the soap turned a reddish purple. Eventually, it lost all colour.

It became a sad and ugli sight.......
Foto-STHZTWRV-G.jpg

Im not sure if red cabbage will perform the same - it's a different dye (anthocyanins). I think it may turn yellow/orange at first.
But both will fade in UV-light.

Again sorry for the confusion!

Ha ha :) No worries! I also read it first thing in the morning, so I don't think my brain was fully engaged yet...oops :)
I might just have to try a teeny tiny batch with red cabbage to see what color I get.

CanaDawn, for the eggs I didn't use any baking soda...just vinegar in water. The water was a purplish color but colored the eggs a deep blue. I replicated it the next year also (for Easter).

ImageUploadedBySoap Making1406526064.961471.jpg

For those of you having issues with the plastic Michaels mold with the bolts, you might want to try what I did. I went to home depot and got a 6 inch "C-Clamp" (it should be in the aisle with all the screwdrivers, saws, etc). Pop that on the dead center of the mold (with the "C" shape hooked over the top, of course) and tighten it while eyeballing the sides until it's straight. You can then let the "C"shape thats hooked over the top rest on the top of the mold.

This might not work if you have a built up textured top, but it's a perfectly serviceable solution to an (aggravating!) issue.

Latest posts

Back