Glycol free fragrances?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sprklngsaphire

Reaction score
Hi all,
As the title suggests, I am looking for glycol free fragrances to use in my soap and lotions. Perhaps this should be in the fragrance category? But I am a beginner so thought this might be better?
Anyways, I have a pretty bad, rare, allergy to propylene glycol which is what started me on this journey of making my own soap and bath products that I could safely use since propylene glycol is in almost everything.
Unfortunately, without even thinking about it, I purchased some fragrance oils that I thought would be nice inside my soap and then it dawned on me while smelling them, if they contained my allergen or not. So I have emailed the company several times asking if glycols were in fact in the fragrance oils but have yet to hear anything back. So I called them today and they put me on hold for a bit and as luck would have it, I was disconnected:sad:
I know that fragrances are protected secret information, however, since I have an allergy, and am just asking about a specific ingredient, surely they should or would be able to tell me this information? Or am I wrong in thinking this?
Anyways, if I don't hear anything back from them via email, I plan on calling them again tomorrow. But I thought just incase I get no where with the company I purchased my fragrance oils from, that perhaps some of you might know of a quality fragrance oil company that don't use glycols in their fragrances or if you don't know of any, suggestions on what would be safer to use for scenting my soaps with.. I was thinking maybe essential oils but there again, unsure if they add glycols in the carrier or if they will even tell me they do before buying from them. I feel a bit frustrated at myself for not thinking about this before buying my scents. I may have just wasted my money:sad:
moved

Since I have not heard anything yet from the company I ordered my first set of fragrances from, I decided last night to ask the other fragrance companies that I was interested in the same question. One company was very helpful and said that while they don't use dipropylene glycol in their skin safe fragrance oils, that other glycols are in them. This company also blends their own. So, I guess it's safe to say that regular fragrance oils might be out for me. I did get a response from another company as well, but all they said was, is they dont discuss what's in their fragrances.... so I am putting two and two together. A lesson learned I guess. Thought I would post this info just incase anyone ever has someone ask if your products are "glycol free"..because they could be allergic like me and are asking for that reason. and if so, if you use fragrance oils then they may not want to use said product. However, it appears essential oils that are steam distilled would be fine for the most part, as it appears essential oils are usually blended with jojoba or other carrier oils and not synthetics like glycols.

Also thanks mods for moving my post for me from the beginners section. The fragrance oil section does seem more appropriate. :lol: lol. Especially when asking a fragrance oil question. Hehe.

Essential oils are pure and there are no glycols in them. Just remember that they are therapeutic and should be used with respect and at a rate no higher than 3%. Some like Clove & Cinnamon have a usage rate of no more than .7%. Even though many suppliers will tell you use them at 3 - 5% please don't do that, they are using fragrance oil guidelines rather than recognizing the therapeutic effects of Essential Oils. Some actually need precautions put on your label.

Hi Lindy,
Thanks so much for the info. Would you say that if using essential oils in soap products that the max 3 percent should also be based on per pound of oils?
I have started reading up on essential oils just recently so I know I have a lot to learn in this regard. I have also seen some suggest a guideline of only one percent. But unsure if it's based on ppo or entire weight of batch.

Latest posts

Back