Getting full gell in a log mold

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

I created a pine mold over the weekend, my first time using a log mold.

Made a 2 lb. batch of soap (no FO or EO)... soaped at about 140-150°...­ wrapped it in a towel and a blanket (probably was covered with about 6 layers).

This morning the top of the soap looked like there was a ring around the outermost edges.... like it had only partially gelled. When I cut the soap it appeared to have gelled completely, but any ideas on how to get a more consistent appearance on the top?

Also, when soaping cooler, around 100° (when using FO's or EO's), what is the best way to ensure full gel?

After pouring into the mold pop it into your oven set on it's lowest temperature for about an hour or so, that always works for me :)

Just don't forget it in there, set the timer for 1 hour LOL Believe me, you do not want to forget the soap in the oven !

Thanks Rhonda -- should I leave it in there overnight after turning the oven off at 1 hour?

Danielito said:
Thanks Rhonda -- should I leave it in there overnight after turning the oven off at 1 hour?

You can :) I don't' usually but I know many do, once I see it's reached full gel I pull it out so it can cool. I usually cut within a few hours after pouring.

Daniel
SO funny, i just had the same thing happen, log mold, ring, ive never had this happen before, i have a wood cover for my mold, i never wrap in blanket, i used new recipe, coc, crisco, olive, canola, some eo. lemongrass. I guess i wll try the oven thing, although hubby hates when i put soap in oven!

honor435 said:
Daniel
SO funny, i just had the same thing happen, log mold, ring, ive never had this happen before, i have a wood cover for my mold, i never wrap in blanket, i used new recipe, coc, crisco, olive, canola, some eo. lemongrass. I guess i wll try the oven thing, although hubby hates when i put soap in oven!

You could also put your mold on top of a heating pad wrapped in blankeys for awhile too, that should be enough to make sure it gels thru.

ring went away, soap is very light colored, dont know if it gelled or not? its the same color as the one in the tupperware, ive never had one not gel in my log mold, so dont know.

x

may i suggest warming your mold in the oven first, then pouring your soap. it kind of gives your batch a "jump start". if warm soap is poured into a cold mold it delays gell. i'd then stick it back in the oven for an hour or wrap in towels.

gelling or not gelling doesnt affect the soap quality. it's just your soap is a little softer and you might have to delay cutting a day or so. i prefer no gel as the heat can't burn off delicate f/o's and a feel i get a truer but a little lighter color.

monet

Back