Gel temperature?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Probably between 140- 160 degrees. Just insulated and not in a pre-warmed oven.

Thanks for everyone's replies. I only ask because I'm wondering if the heat goes higher than the flash point for most essential oils.

<takes a deep breath>

flash point and evaporation temp are NOT the same (I HATE it that people refer to the evaporation of something as it "flashing off" - that leads to all this confusion)

the flash point is the temp at which the fumes from a substance will ignite when exposed to an open flame. it's important in large scale manufacturing, ingredient storage, and shipping. and perhaps if you are putting the straight substance into a tealight burner.

Water has a much lower evaporation temp than it's flash point - I mean you can get it to go off into the air, but good luck setting those fumes on fire LOL!

ALSO the flash point of any one component is basically irrelevant when it's introduced into a mixture - a new flash point results. it's not precisely an average of the components, but that'll do for soaping. so once you mix your EO into your oils you needn't worry. Seriously. I've quizzed our perfumers, tormented out technical people, and hounded our manufacturing folk.

This is not to say the items with a low flash point might not either evaporate from or be unstable in soap more so than items with a higher flash point, but they are NOT the same, the actual temps ARE irrelevant, and you simply shouldn't make judgments based on that.

even the evaporation point is mitigated by the oils. you will have to rely on trial & error and the recos of other soapers.

check out the scent review board - that might have some info in the EO area.

But is it safe to assume that the flash points listed on the EO's and FO's that we buy are higher than their evaporation points?

If our oils are at a lower temp than the listed EO/FO flash points when we add them to the oils, can we more or less count on them to not evaporate or "Flash off" (even though that's not a technically correct term as you point out)??

I guess I'm thinking that if I HP and let the oils cool below the listed flashpoint before adding my scents that will be a reasonably safe practice. Or is that line of thinking also irrelevant and error prone?

xyxoxy said:
But is it safe to assume that the flash points listed on the EO's and FO's that we buy are higher than their evaporation points?

If our oils are at a lower temp than the listed EO/FO flash points when we add them to the oils, can we more or less count on them to not evaporate or "Flash off" (even though that's not a technically correct term as you point out)??

I guess I'm thinking that if I HP and let the oils cool below the listed flashpoint before adding my scents that will be a reasonably safe practice. Or is that line of thinking also irrelevant and error prone?
I think letting soap cool a bit before adding scent may have some benefit, but it might prevent the scent from being spread homogenously throughout the soap.

as far as what comes first, the flashpoint or vaporization point... the given substance will first hit its vaporization point, then it will hit its flashpoint and ignite.... think of smoke before fire ;)...

Back