After a day of research, I wanted to make soap. And then I found an old thread on fumes. I used lye-based drain cleaner a few times years ago and thought it was absolutely awful. I'd hate to make a business or hobby of anything that smells so bad. Also, I think not as a renter (I do not want to replace expensive components of someone else's home) with a bird, a cat, and my own health to protect--unless there's a way to prevent the toxicity and corrosion. Someone said ice cubes help prevent fumes. Another said they also help prevent (or slow way down?) etching of glass. The only location in my apartment that makes sense to me is a bathroom (for door closed) with the vent on, but someone said that their kitchen vent corroded from the ‘fumes’ so now I’m concerned that there are probably metal fan blades in the wall that could rust or corrode, and there are metal fixtures throughout the bathroom. (Others have said they’ve never seen corrosion on metal near to their mixing station. I suppose it depends on the type of metal, quality of the fixtures, and perhaps how quickly the vapors disperse/dilute.) Additionally, the bathroom may take a while to completely air out. A WWII style vapor filter may protect my lungs, but the bathroom may be unusable for a day? (Some have said just a few minutes of fumes--most noticeable if head placed over the mixing container which they try to never do. If only a few minutes of fumes, I wonder at what starting temperature their ingredients are. Hot mixtures steam for as long as they’re hot, I’ve read.) Also worth noting is that some people can handle really noxious chemical smells in their homes, garages, etc. that I cannot. I don’t paint my nails or wear fake nails, but just as an example, walking into a nail salon for just a few seconds would be enough of a shock to my system to make me leave. If I don't start with ice for the lye solution, how hot would the initial solution be? I've heard that some soapers' solutions are reaching 200 degrees (near boiling). Maybe that's because they're starting with melted/heated oils. And if I start with ice, how hot should I expect? I have a cat and parakeet that might be affected by even small amount of vapors which is the main reason I'm thinking to use ice cold water or ice itself. If not making the lye solution in a bathroom, perhaps outside would work. I've read that distilled water is ideal. I'm not sure of the water used to make bagged ice. I have read that etching of glass only occurs if the solution heats up quite a bit (to the 200 or so degrees that many soapers are working with). If I'm starting with ice cubes or ice cold water in a half gallon canning jar, the risk of that may be close to zero? Having not done this even once, I don't know how hot the solution will become if starting with cold water. Others have said that quality stainless is probably the way to go… for the lye solution, immersion blender, bowls, etc. I aim to refrigerate my soaps, but fear that I’ll poison my food with vapors and have no money for an extra mini fridge. I've read that saponification during the first 1-3 days also produces heat, but I don't know how much to expect with room temp oils and a lye solution produced with ice cubes or with room temperature water. Can anyone give a temperature range? For long-term room temperature (80+ degrees this time of year) storage of the solution, I'm not sure if a plastic Ball canning jar lid would create a tight enough seal. The other other option would be a metal canning jar lid. Those are my questions for now, but I’ll be away for the day and cannot reply until late.