Frustrating abbreviations to a new soaper

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Affinito

Reaction score
Hi, im relatively new to soap making, just over a year now. I've been perusing threads on this forum, and have a suggestion. More often than not, experienced soapers use abbreviations for expressions they apparently use alot. This can be very frustrating to someone who is learning the ropes. I find myself spending too much time trying to figure out what the abbreviations mean rather than learning how to make soap. I would appreciate using the full expression rather than an abbreviation at least once in each thread, parenthetically showing the abbreviation the first time its mentioned. Im sorry about the rant, but I really would like to devote my time learning the trade rather than deciphering abbreviations. There is alot of very good information here. Thank you!

Hi @John Affinito! Edited: Looks like @shunt2011 beat me to it. I do encourage you to read the thread and maybe bookmark it for future reference. Even if the currently active members were to start using the full words, that wouldn't fix all the older threads, which have so much great info in them. And you'll be surprised at how quickly you pick up the lingo as you go.

If I am answering a beginner's questions I explain abbreviations - but I don't think you'll have much luck getting long time posters to change their ways. If you have a question, ask it.

Hi @John Affinito! Edited: Looks like @shunt2011 beat me to it. I do encourage you to read the thread and maybe bookmark it for future reference. Even if the currently active members were to start using the full words, that wouldn't fix all the older threads, which have so much great info in them. And you'll be surprised at how quickly you pick up the lingo as you go.
Thank you very much! I wish I knew how to bookmark this! Lol. I've been hunting around for a bookmark button to no avail. Thanks again!!

Thank you very much! I wish I knew how to bookmark this! Lol. I've been hunting around for a bookmark button to no avail. Thanks again!!
While you are in the thread, click the Watch button at the top right, and then it will always be easy to find in your list of Watched Threads (assuming you turn OFF the setting to Watch each and every thread to which you make a post).

You can also find it easily at any time using the Search box. Type in "acronym" and click Search Titles Only. It will usually be in the top three threads that appear in the search results. ;)

Every hobby, particularly if it's as technical and varied as soap, has its own language, slang, and shorthand. The abbreviations thread:
https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/the-acronym-and-abbreviation-definition-thread.51841/ETA: Shunt beat me to it
Yes,
While you are in the thread, click the Watch button at the top right, and then it will always be easy to find in your list of Watched Threads (assuming you turn OFF the setting to Watch each and every thread to which you make a post).

You can also find it easily at any time using the Search box. Type in "acronym" and click Search Titles Only. It will usually be in the top three threads that appear in the search results. ;)
Thank you!

I’ve only been soapmaking for a little over a year but I’m already pretty well versed in the acronyms and frankly the abbreviations/acronyms make threads easier to read and understand. Not understanding everything forced me to study more and I believe helped me learn faster, thank you Soap Making Forum!

Latest posts

Back