Frosting fell off of my cake slices. :( Can anyone tell me why?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anani

Reaction score
I could just cry. I finally made a soap cake and it turned out beautifully. Rainbow layers and a I piped the topping.

I have piped soap onto other things (cupcakes etc) and never had a problem with it falling off. In this case, I sliced the cake and picked it up and the piping just fell right off.

The only thing I can think of that's different from my other piping, is that I did this batch at a 6% superfat instead of 5% and I also have started using sodium lactate.

Any thoughts on this would be so appreciated.

Is it at all possible to get the frosting back on to stay? :(

Last edited:
My thoughts are the SL is possibly the cause, since it's the only variable...but not because the soap is too hard as it just isn't that hard yet.

Maybe it didn't make the frosting too hard, but it maybe made it less sticky? When I have used it in HP, it makes my batter very smooth and un-sticky, so it won't even stick to the crock-pot. Maybe the tops just didn't want to stick to the bottoms? I haven't used it much in CP so dunno for sure...

Last edited:
I would simply try wetting both pieces with water and sticking it back together with that. You could even scratch a bit and rough up the surfaces that need to be "glued" together to help with the process and then just press the two pieces lightly together and let it dry. "Normal" soap can easily be stuck together with just water, (for example when making soapballs, etc) so I can't see why it wouldn't work. If by any chance it doesn't work, then you've lost nothing by trying and can then try M&P as Obsidian suggested, but I would definitely just try with water first. (I use SL in all my soaps and have never had a problem getting dampened soap to stick together.)

ETA: I often cut the thin cut-off pieces from the ends of my loaves in half, (so I have 4 little pieces in all) and then I stick them all together with water to make one little guest bar sized soap that I use as a test soap. Never had a problem!

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I think I'll try wetting the 2 sides with water first. It makes sense that the water would work. If not, I'll try with a thin layer of cp soap.
I wish I knew what caused it in the first place though. It's going to make me nervous making the cakes again.

Maybe it didn't make the frosting too hard, but it maybe made it less sticky? Wen I have used it in HP, it makes my batter very smooth and un-sticky, so it won't even stick to the crock-pot. Maybe the tops just didn't want to stick to the bottoms? I haven't used it much in CP so dunno for sure...
I didn't notice this post before I responded below. Thanks :). That's an interesting experience you've had with the SL in hot process. I may have to try making something with piped soap without the SL and see if there is a difference but it's looking more and more like that's the culprit.
Too bad if that's the cause though...I love using the SL as it helps the soap to come out the molds so much easier and much sooner. I find my soap is "bubblier" with it as well.
Thanks again! :)

Back