Friday night fun- I made lotion!!!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saltydog

Reaction score
And it came out great!!

I followed swiftcraftymonkeys (omg i'm in serious love w/her blog!) basic recipe using olive oil and cocoa butter, plus a humectant (honeyquat) and it worked!

Ok, it's my first time and I'm a little over excited, I know, but it's so nice to make something, have it come out well, and use it right away, yay!!

I do have one question, if anyone cares to give me their opinion:
I find the liquid Germall Plus that swift recommends to be a bit difficult to measure, especially since I made such a tiny first batch. Can anyone recommend a good, dry preservative? I'm thinking it may be easier to weigh?

That is great! I am going to have to check out her blog. What about paraben free preservatives? My friend has been looking at Lotion Crafters and I guess they have some that sound less "chemical" in nature. I wonder how those work?

I bought a jewelry scale so I could weigh the tiny amounts for preservatives in my small batches. Just an alternative.

Congrats on doing the lotion. Fun!

Soapy Gurl- OMGosh, yes, you HAVE to check out swifts blog, it is simply phenomenal!
I only purchased the preservative she recommended, but yes, there are many choices and from what I read, not all preservatives and be used in all applications, so check it out here:
http://swiftcraftymonkey.blogspot.com/

ToniD said:
I bought a jewelry scale so I could weigh the tiny amounts for preservatives in my small batches. Just an alternative.

Congrats on doing the lotion. Fun!

Great idea!! I'm going to look for one, because the measuring makes me nervous. I would have never thought of this, thanks!!

Hazel said:
Congratulations!

Someone mentioned she started using Lotioncrafter's Germall Plus powder and was very happy with it. I haven't used it so I can't personally recommend it.

http://www.lotioncrafter.com/germall_plus_powder.html

Perfect! I have to order some other ingredients so I will try this.
Thanks, Hazel!

TKB Trading has a little scale that measures to .01 grams and has a capacity of 300 grams. It's cheap too, about $13. I use it for my B&B

Yes, I'm seriously indebted to Swift's blog. I just made lotion last night too. Love it.

I will have to check out the Germall + powder. I find the thick consistency of the liquid challenging to measure out precisely. And it's too gooey for a pipette.

Soapygurl, just to let you know, germall + is not paraben based.

I take Swift's recommendations on preservatives and use the maximum amount recommended by the manufacturer. Better safe than sorry!

I recently made lotion too, I cannot believe how nice it is. I slightly modified this recipe which I found in the bath and body recipe section here

http://soapmakingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1200

I was not sure about the 'teaspon of preservative' so i used powdered germall at the maximum recommended dose added to the water phase. Then I added vitamin E to the oil phase. I used a tbs orange EO (5X) and it blends wonderfully with the cocoa butter scent.

It does not matter for us since we are using it so fast, but i would like to know more about preservatives since I am being asked to make it for sale (I know, already!).

I have dried hands and feet from the soil, from gardening. This lotion REALLY helps.

Congratulations and you are right, how nice it is to make something and use it right away!

judymoody said:
TKB Trading has a little scale that measures to .01 grams and has a capacity of 300 grams. It's cheap too, about $13. I use it for my B&B

Yes, I'm seriously indebted to Swift's blog. I just made lotion last night too. Love it..

I bought the 'Awesome' scale, yay!! Ty

judymoody said:
I will have to check out the Germall + powder. I find the thick consistency of the liquid challenging to measure out precisely. And it's too gooey for a pipette :)

Exactly!

green soap said:
I was not sure about the 'teaspoon of preservative' so i used powdered germall at the maximum recommended dose added to the water phase.

Congratulations and you are right, how nice it is to make something and use it right away!

Is this what we do with the powdered preservative? I'm glad you mentioned this, I thought it had to go in the cool-down phase..is it different because it's powdered?
Congrats on your lotions, too :)

yay making lotion is so fun, I'm a swift lover too! I'll never forget the first time I made lotion, watching it magically go from liquid to lotion is so cool

I've been using the leucidal liquid from lotioncrafter, but I make sure to use it up within 6 months, even though it says 1 year. I'm too afraid to sell it because I guess the more "natural" ones are kinda iffy ??

I also have that scale from TKB! thumbs up!

if the powder is water soluble you could maybe after your heat phase set a little water aside, continue to mix your oil and water and when its cooled enough add the preservative to the water set aside and then add that to the final mix, just guessing, don't quote me :)

saltydog said:
green soap said:
t;]
I was not sure about the 'teaspoon of preservative' so i used powdered germall at the maximum recommended dose added to the water phase.

Is this what we do with the powdered preservative? I'm glad you mentioned this, I thought it had to go in the cool-down phase..is it different because it's powdered?
Congrats on your lotions, too :)

I have no idea, this is my first lotion. I might have done it wrong? I hope somebody more experienced chimes in. I think the vit E was overkill, since neither jojoba, coconut or cocoa butter have a short shelf life. I read 'preservative' as both bacterial and rancidity or spoilage protection. I have other questions about preservatives, so i need to read more, and perhaps start a thread on it.

I'm no lotion making pro but depending on what your using, most preservatives have to go in the cool down phase, otherwise the excess heat may lower the efficacy

gah! my work blocks access to swifts blog :evil:

Latest posts

Back