Freezer vs. Gel re: hardness of soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbedaded

Reaction score
I've been soaping for about two years. Strictly hobby--no sales. Recently I made a bar of peppermint soap (using peppermint essential oil) with the same recipe I've been using for most of my other soap. I wanted to keep this soap really white so I put it in freezer to avoid gel phase.

It did stay really white but I notice that the soap is considerably softer that its non freezer counterparts. Any thought on this? Does preventing gel phase make for a softer bar?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

(edited to correct typo)

If it doesn't get hot like during a gel phase, it doesn't evaporate as much water off at first and will take longer to get hard. I don't think you'll probably find much noticeable difference between gelled and non-gelled after a couple months cure time.

I think it makes for a softer bar initially but in the long run I don’t think there is a difference. I would go for the long end of drying time. I HATE partial gel which is why I don’t gel.

Latest posts

Back