Free Windows 10

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got the notification but it said 'Get Windows 10 free*'...and I can't find what the '*' means. I'm scared of the *.

Anyone know what the * means so I can be unscared, like, it will find my credit card info while I am asleep and charge me a thousand dollars. Even when my credt card info is on a piece of paper buried in a safe in my closet.

Or maybe Windows 10 is really Skynet.

I wouldn't totally agree with this. From what I understand TOR is run by a group of people who are very dedicated to the idea of keeping the internet out of the hands of big business. There are a lot of groups with similar ideology (Firefox is one from what I understand. I do agree that you have to keep your eyes open and double so if you're getting something for nothing!

I agree, the TOR developers are dedicated. You do have to keep your eyes open and follow the rules if you want it to work as described. I use Firefox too, but I still have to wipe and clean with a cleaner. Part of the maintenance...

I got the notification but it said 'Get Windows 10 free*'...and I can't find what the '*' means. I'm scared of the *.

Anyone know what the * means so I can be unscared, like, it will find my credit card info while I am asleep and charge me a thousand dollars. Even when my credt card info is on a piece of paper buried in a safe in my closet.

Or maybe Windows 10 is really Skynet.

If I remember right, it said something about possible data charges could apply.I suppose thats for smart phone users. I don't think Skynet has taken over windows yet.

It's free and does say something about OEM, mobile operator or carrier. There are companies that will charge if they can get away with it -- your mobile provider or computer manufacturer. Just don't download from them. They may only offer support if you buy and download from them, but support is free if you have an internet connection and can use the support boards.

What I laughed at, and kind of knew there a "catch" was coming:
"Windows 10 is automatically updated. Additional requirements may apply over time for updates." So, the catch. They will add cool things and charge you if you want them. Of course you will want them!

Last edited:
Dahila> Yay! I'm glad I could be of help :)

TwystedPryncess > I agree with Obsidian, I think it was more about the charges that might happen beyond Microsoft's control. So technically it's free but if would still cost money for some people to download.

tbeck3579 > You're not the first one I've seen say this. Although Microsoft insists that they're not moving to a subscription format there are now rumblings that updates will only be free for a certain amount of time. To me if I need to pay for updates to stay secure then it is a subscription isn't it?! We'll see where they go with this.

I've had a few updates and so far have not seen any of the settings reset from my preferences. The only problem I've had is with a Video driver (drivers are what the computer uses to make the operating system able to 'talk' to all the parts in your computer). Windows insists on updating me to a new driver every time I restart, but the newer driver is unstable with some of the games I play. Every time I play I have to reinstall the older one. Not a huge issue, but rather annoying. Hopefully some of the ways Microsoft is trying to address issues like this will work.

When it comes down to skepticism about why they're giving away something that seems so valuable, there are a few things to remember. Microsoft's bread & butter is big business, so in a lot of ways what they're doing is very shrewd. If 10 takes off and everyone is using it (including the people who write the cheques at the top) they're more likely to shell out for upgrading hundreds of computers, each of which requires the purchase of a software license. Their user base also uses 10 at home, on their tablets, or on their phones, so training is either not required or minimal. A lot of the security upgrades are aimed at business networks etc.

In addition a lot of people were scared off by the 8 debacle. Whether they used it themselves or just heard over and over again that "it was a train wreck" that's a confidence Microsoft needs to regain.

The last reason is simple logistics, right now MS is supporting Vista, 7, 8, 8.1 and now 10. Every time a security flaw is found it potentially needs to be corrected for each format. If enough people move off the older systems maybe they'll try to shorten the support dates.

So in a lot of ways a huge giveaway like this is actually a deal for them...I'm sure SkyNet is just something they'll slip in later!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back