Fragrane/essential oil usage rate in creams.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhosyn

Reaction score
Hi, can anyone tell me the maximum usage rate of Fragrance and Essential oils in Creams and lotions, to use in the UK. thanks.

Hi,

Why are you wanting to include whatever the
considered maximum is? Do you mean that
you want your lotions to be super-scented?
Most products will have that type of info.
from the supplier. Personally, I don't like
a lot of scent, so I only add about a percent
or so. It may serve you well to test each
product and scent individually and record
how much you have added so you can
skin (and nose!) test it. That would be a
good way to tell if you have too little or
too much in your recipe. It's a thought
anyway, as I'm not sure there is a
definite answer, as it can vary from
product to product and from scent to
scent as far as what a "maximum"
would be, but I would check to see
what your supplier of each scent has
to say.

Kathy

Thank you for your answer Kathy, the reason I ask is that, if I am selling my fragranced items within the UK and EU, there is, I think a limit of 1% of fragrance oil or essential oil on a leave on products like cream or lotions. I'm sure I can decide for myself the personal suitability and strength of individual fragrances, I just wanted to confirm the "safe and legal limit" of fragrance for the type of product in question i.e. creams and lotions. I am not saying I want to include the maximum dose of Essential oil in my product, I just don't want to go over that limit. I know also that all my recipes will need to be assessed by a Cosmetic Chemist before production and that he will ultimately advise me, but I just wanted to informally inquire first, here on the forum. Thanks.

I think the limit is 1%, but that is for the essential oils that aren't limited. I'm sure you know that each EO is made up of different compounds, 26 of which are considered allergens within the EU, and are restricted in the levels they can be used at. So you need to add up the total for each of the 26 compounds for a given EO blend and make sure the levels aren't exceeded. In the Essential Oil section of this forum I posted a calculator I made that calculates all that out, I posted it 5 months back or so.

However, your safety assessor will be able to tell you what levels you can use of which ones, and will be able to answer questions about specific essential oils. That's what you pay them for!

Thanks fiddletree! I will look back to see if I can find your calculator, it would be very helpful at the moment as a guide to me :)

Back