Fragrance's

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teri Collins

Reaction score
Hello everyone....I've had 5 batches of soap curing for about 2.5 weeks now....I've noticed that they all smell the same...I've got Lavender, Sandlewood, Peppermint, Frankincense & a blend of three other oils in one bar...Is this normal or am I just imagining it...? :)

Are you storing them in the same box? Some fragrances (I'm thinking the peppermint and the sandalwood) tend to travel and stick around more. Separate each fragrance into it's own box, or into it's own paper bag, and the other smells may dissipate. Also, try lathering one up.

My fragrance doesn't last very long either. Maybe I need to add a little bit more to recipe. Doesn't it say "use no more than 5%"?

My fragrance doesn't last very long either. Maybe I need to add a little bit more to recipe. Doesn't it say "use no more than 5%"?
Depends on the fragrance. You will have to check the IFRA guidelines on the fragrances you uses, but some will be less than that, some much more. Are you using EO's or FO's and are you buying from reputable suppliers?
I have found very few EO's stick longer than 6 months in my recipe, while a lot of the FO's I use will stick around for years. (there are exceptions to both, though, for sure)

I only use fragrance-don't have any essential. I made some beer soap this morning without the essential called for. Maybe it will be o.k.

With all these great comments...in your expert opinion...which fragrances do you recommend...I use the ones from I think it's called Garden of Eden...It works....Vitality....As for the fragrances only...which ones are the best...?...Thank you...

Are you storing them in the same box? Some fragrances (I'm thinking the peppermint and the sandalwood) tend to travel and stick around more. Separate each fragrance into it's own box, or into it's own paper bag, and the other smells may dissipate. Also, try lathering one up.
Hello; I have a very large metal filing cabinet in a closet from an old business that I had...it has 4 large drawers in it which makes for storing my bars safer for curing them...I have a very nosy cat...I keep a dehumidifier in one of the drawers that I picked up from Walmart that we use in a travel trailer...I throw it away when it becomes spent...I guess separating them would be a better idea...I do love the idea of putting them in paper bags which would make it easier to label them....Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
With all these great comments...in your expert opinion...which fragrances do you recommend...I use the ones from I think it's called Garden of Eden...It works....Vitality....As for the fragrances only...which ones are the best...?...Thank you...

Hello; I have a very large metal filing cabinet in a closet from an old business that I had...it has 4 large drawers in it which makes for storing my bars safer for curing them...I have a very nosy cat...I keep a dehumidifier in one of the drawers that I picked up from Walmart that we use in a travel trailer...I throw it away when it becomes spent...I guess separating them would be a better idea...I do love the idea of putting them in paper bags which would make it easier to label them....Thank you

Mske sure you have something between the soap and anything metal because this can cause dos. dreaded orange spots. Ill let someone else help with the dehumidifier as i dont have that issue. My cats are nosy too so iv got a set of wooden shelves and place my curing soap on the top 2 shelves and put the heavier stuff like oil ect that they cant get into on the lower shelves

You really need to cure your soap on a well ventilated shelf in a well ventilated room not closed up in a metal filing cabinet.

Are you using goats milk or lard? Some people can smell that over the fragrance.

Try 5% of the oils weight for fragrances and bring it down if necessary.

If you check out the fragrance reviews on the forum you'll get some good ideas from other soaper's on different companies.
https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/fragrance-oil-review-chart-link.47182/

I've not heard of the company you've listed. Nature's Garden, WSP, Nurture Soap, Fragrance Lab are some that have nice FO's and work well in soap. Check the reviews on the companies you purchase from as well.

I've used Bramble Berry for years and never had an issue with their fragrances or essential oils. If you are looking for a suggestion, I have very few people that aren't wowed by the lemongrass EO from Bramble Berry. Men and Women just seem drawn to this scent.

With wash off products such as soap I use most fo's at the rate of 1.1 oz per lb of oil. Also, not all fragrances are IFRA rated since manufacturers of fragrance oils are not required to submit their fragrances to the IFRA. With Spicy EO's such as clove and cinnamon I use much less.

I cure my soap in wooden crates from the craft store (I get the half-height ones). I line them with parchment paper. Each batch is in its own crate. When I have a fresh batch it goes on top of my frig or kitchen cabinets. Once they age 2-3 weeks, I stack them on top of the other crates until I wrap them. (6 wks) Fragrance doesn't seem to "travel" btwn soaps. And it does seem to become a wee bit more fragrant after wrapping, (once you unwrap it).

I use both EO's and FO's, from several dealers. They all fade, I think that's normal.

Back