Formulating a new recipe ?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

athallr

Reaction score
I usually make 7# batches of soap. I'm not the best using a soap calc to create a new recipe but I have 2# of lard I'd like to incorporate with a recipe. I have palm, coconut and olive on hand but am not sure how to go about either figuring the % each oil is at or the other calc that you put in the weight of your oils to figure out lye I guess. How can I figure out how much of each other oil to use? Thanks so much!
Amy

Using SoapCalc, I first enter the weight of the oils at the top. Then I click on each oil that I want to use and add the percentage to the right. After you have entered the oils and percentages, click on "calculate recipe. Here is an example of what you can use to include the 32 oz of lard:
27% coconut
28.6% lard
44.4% olive oil

Lard and palm are similar in soap, so people don't usually mix them. If, however, you want to make a soap with a certain % of lard but don't have enough, you could, using the example above, lower the OO and the CO by using palm

Thanks! That is partly what I was wondering. I'm only .8 of a pound shy of the formula I used yesterday but may try a new one today...still debating :)

Latest posts

Back