Forgot an oil - Help!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hmg_soap

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I was making the following recipe, it turned out perfectly, just a litter harder, and a few days later I remembered that I did not add any castor oil when mixing. The castor oil is only 7% of the recipe and I have 5% superfat (attached is the recipe).

28.6% coconut oil
50% olive oil
14.3% almond oil
7.1% castor oil

Should I HP it and add the castor oil? or is it still ok?

Please help

Thanks!

Attachments

• SOAP.pdf
    72 KB · Views: 5
Hello everyone!

I was making the following recipe, it turned out perfectly, just a litter harder, and a few days later I remembered that I did not add any castor oil when mixing. The castor oil is only 7% of the recipe and I have 5% superfat (attached is the recipe).

28.6% coconut oil
50% olive oil
14.3% almond oil
7.1% castor oil

Should I HP it and add the castor oil? or is it still ok?

Please help

Thanks!

I would check to make sure it isn't lye heavy. If yes, you may need to rebatch, if not, it will probably be ok, but maybe a little harsh on sensitive skin with the amount of coconut oil. But I'm still pretty new as well so I could be totally wrong. Hopefully someone with more experience will chime in with more advice. :)

Your soap should be fine after a 6-8 week cure time. It comes out to around a -1 superfat which is no great deal especially with your use of what we call full water. Since it was a small percentage of your oils (7%) you will be okay. On the plus side, you can compare a higher superfatted soap with a 0 or so superfatted soap. Your only problem is the high CO percentage with a low superfat. I am a low one that superfats low but never go over 17-18% CO/ PKO. Soap calculators work on an average so variances in superfat can be off a few points + or -. I just do not recommend zap testing until after this soap has cured and probably cutting with gloves on. Soap can be quite forgiving.

Your soap should be fine after a 6-8 week cure time. It comes out to around a -1 superfat which is no great deal especially with your use of what we call full water. Since it was a small percentage of your oils (7%) you will be okay. On the plus side, you can compare a higher superfatted soap with a 0 or so superfatted soap. Your only problem is the high CO percentage with a low superfat. I am a low one that superfats low but never go over 17-18% CO/ PKO. Soap calculators work on an average so variances in superfat can be off a few points + or -. I just do not recommend zap testing until after this soap has cured and probably cutting with gloves on. Soap can be quite forgiving.
I actually did a zap test and it was okay! it was only created 3 days ago

Back