Forcing Gel in a Gas Oven?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrissyB

Reaction score
Well as most of you know, I recently moved house. Old house had an electric oven, new one has a gas oven. Great, I love cooking with gas.
But, my question is, does anyone force gel in a gas oven?
It's winter here at the moment, so I definitely need to kick start gel, otherwise I'll end up with partial gel which drives me bonkers.
I don't want to stick my silicone moulds in a gas oven if it's just going to be a disaster, KWIM?

Hi Chrissy, I have a gas oven and use it. I put it about 170, let it heat up, then turn it off when I put my soap in. If it doesn't gel after about 30 minutes then I turn it back on and once heated up again, I'll turn it back of and it usually gels by then.

I'm not sure if there's a reason not to leave it on...I've gotten some overheated soap before. I guess that's why I don't.

I use the green silicone molds from WSP and also wooden molds.

Amanda

my gas oven only goes down to 170 so i preheat my oven and then put my soap in and let it gel nearly all the way before i turn it off. then i leave it in the oven until it is time to unmold with the light on.

i use the green wsp silicone molds

I use a heat pad! I've tried the oven before but it leaves a smell in there (from the fo) so I avoid it now unless I'm making more than 3 batches at one time.

I put my bastile soap (85% OO 15% CO) in oven for 3 hours at 170 and then turn in off and leave the soap there till its time to unmold. This method works great for this kind of soap I think (I do not use coloring or FO/EO for this one) This way the soap is hard and ready to use in 2 weeks or so.

Latest posts

Back