for the Beer Soap Experts

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My husband brews beer and we have talked about making corresponding batches of soap. I want to use the wort for soaping. That is the pre-carbonated "runnings." I will have to post and let you know how it goes with that. Thanks for all of the ideas!

valor said:
My husband brews beer and we have talked about making corresponding batches of soap. I want to use the wort for soaping. That is the pre-carbonated "runnings." I will have to post and let you know how it goes with that. Thanks for all of the ideas!

Thank you for posting on the Mama Milk soap! That is my next new project!

honor435 said:
I just wondered what beer does for soap? do you still add fo, does it smell like beer?

I think it's like adding sugar to a batch, it really increases the lather.

Yes, my beer soap did smell different than regular soap. I used Leiney's which you may be familiar with, honor, and it smelled sort of like a big salted pretzel. I did not add any FO but I'm sure the FO would knock out any beer smell.

valor said:

Click on my www button below. You may get a kick out of it.

Bruce

Bigmoose said:
valor said:

Click on my www button below. You may get a kick out of it.

Bruce

WOW! I was looking at your etsy stuff a few days ago. I have been dying to make a liquid beer soap but I am scared! How do you do it? Do you just dilute it in beer??? Do you have to preserve it after that??? OMG! This is great!

WOW, BigMoose!! :shock: Great stuff! That is so awesome! My husband is an all grain brewer as well. He started out doing extract and moved to the all grain some months ago. We often talk about how brewing and soaping seem to go together like peanut butter and jelly. I will have to show him your store. He will be happy that it proves I'm not just a loon about soaping anything and everything! :lol:

I use Sam Adams cherry wheat beer and it does have a smell. It smells like sweet oatmeal, grain, wheat...very earthy. Its unfragranced but still has that smell. It has become one of my best sellers. Especially when I tell the guys it makes a good shampoo bar. Ya know how some guys will use bar soap for body and hair :wink:

I have been dying to make a liquid beer soap but I am scared! How do you do it? Do you just dilute it in beer???

Just as with making beer soap you replace the water with beer. That beer shampoo was the toughest soap project I ever took on. So many batches poured down the drain till I got it right. I would reccomend you get C. Failor's book "Making natural liquid soaps" and reading everything you can find on the net.

Valor, I have many all grain recipes that I made up myself. Have your hubby contact me and I would be happy to share some of them. I am drinking a potatoe pale ale that is out of this world right now. Really good stuff. I heard the Russians make vodka from potatoes so I made up my own recipe to make beer from them. It is very good.

Bruce

Bigmoose said:
I have been dying to make a liquid beer soap but I am scared! How do you do it? Do you just dilute it in beer???

Just as with making beer soap you replace the water with beer. That beer shampoo was the toughest soap project I ever took on. So many batches poured down the drain till I got it right. I would reccomend you get C. Failor's book "Making natural liquid soaps" and reading everything you can find on the net.

Valor, I have many all grain recipes that I made up myself. Have your hubby contact me and I would be happy to share some of them. I am drinking a potatoe pale ale that is out of this world right now. Really good stuff. I heard the Russians make vodka from potatoes so I made up my own recipe to make beer from them. It is very good.

Bruce

Thanks Bruce! I have that book and I just CANT do a lye excess in my formulations. I just CANT! I did use the book for other referencing though...it was good tool when I started because there isnt as much info online about liquid soaps as there is about CP.

I agree with you on the liquid soap being the hardest project to take on. I do my liquid with a lye DISCOUNT of 7%...and I use *gasp* cocoa and shea butters in it! LOL!. I dont use that Red Turkey Castor. I cant use the borax for thickening, i assume because of my formula...and the glycern doesnt work for my viscosity either. I ended up making soap almost every day for 2 weeks and changing my NAOH/KOH ratio until I got to my desired viscosity! It was a night mare!

My soap never comes out clear but I dont care about that. I care about moisture! I sell my liquid soap to my local organic foods co-op that also sells my bar soap and lip balms. They dont mind the milky look and are converting ex-bronners addicts to my liquid soap because it is so much better!

Thank you for telling me about the beer as the water...I dont know if I would have ever felt comfortable doing that with the liquid. So when you dilute it do you use water or beer for that portion too?

I have used anywhere from peppermint to papya to amber to bay rum to clean cotton...you name it! They all smell great! The 'beer' smell doesnt come through like you would imagne.

Ahhh!! Gotcha, I did think that you would smell beer... lol!!

One more question: What skin benefits do you get by adding beer??

Thanks,
Deb

I've heard that the hops in beer help sooth irritated skin and has amino acids which help soften the skin.

I've used wsp's energizing blend and a blend of lime EO/Mint Thyme in beer soap and both have turned out smelling wonderful.

An average amount of hops in beer would be about 2.5 ounce to 5 gallons of beer. I don't know if there would be much as far as benefits from them.

Bruce

Well, darn. Here I thought the beer soap I was using was helping my skin. :( So, the beer isn't beneficial, it's just a novelty item.

I'll still keep making it because family and friends like it. Of course, that might be more due to the scents.

Would it be the same for wine soap? That there isn't enough polyphenols in the wine to be beneficial?

Ok, so now I have to try this.. We have a Brewery here in Huntsville AL, Now I have a great excuse to go there...

Can someone recommend a good recipe using Olive Oil? CP

Thanks,
Deb

Hey SoaperBee! I am in Huntsville Alabama too! I didn't even know we had a local brewery. I always use Guinness or Becks Dark for my beer soap. Love, love, love beer soap.
Have you gone to Kathy Miller's soapmaking website? She has a ton of soap recipies and I bet you could find a good olive oil recipe there. :D

quote="ilove2soap"]Hey SoaperBee! I am in Huntsville Alabama too! I didn't even know we had a local brewery.[/quote]

Yes, it is called Olde Towne Brewery on Leeman Ferry.. I have not been there, but plan on going soon, and some of the downtown bars sell it as well.... I have 2, 22 year old boys, so they kinda know their way around some suds :)

Will let you know how it turns out..

Deb[/quote]

Back