Food Processor Advice

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

artemis

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I have been getting by with my little KitchenAid food chopper for years. This week, it broke. I have been looking at replacements, but now I'm thinking it might be time for an upgrade.

What brand do you prefer?
How big is too big (or small)?
Any tips or tricks?

Thanks!

I cook a LOT and Mr. E and I are foodies.

It really depends on your needs, whether you usually do large batches, or small batches, primarily chop, grate, puree, or blend. Obviously, if you normally do big batches, bigger is better, and vice versa.

If your needs vary considerably, then something like the Ninja with attachments may suit you.

If you typically are grating and chopping tougher items, like hard cheeses and root veggies, you might want to invest in something with a substantial, reliable motor, like a Cuisinart.

I have and use two, a larger, standard Cuisinart and a small kitchenaid food chopper. My Cuisinart is 30+ years old and still in amazing shape. The kitchenaid is about 6 years old and going strong. I routinely beat them up. I am not easy nor kind on my equipment.

https://www.amazon.com/KitchenAid-K...prefix=kitchenaid+food+ch,aps,117&sr=8-3&th=1
I use the food chopper much more than the Cuisinart, but it's not a replacement for it. The food chopper is ideal for most small needs, like making a small batch of salsa, sauces, toppings, and vinaigrettes. In a pinch I've even used it for cheesecakes, but had to double the effort due to the small size.

When I'm making a slaw, however, or grating a LOT of cheese or baking (crusts, biscuits), the Cuisinart is the way to go. It's tough enough to handle a big heavy job and delicate and precise enough to keep my pie crusts flakey and buttery and light.

Food processors may all seem more or less the same, but they are all subtly and uniquely suited to one thing or another. Think about how you'll be using it the most, and the choice of which is best for you may become clearer.

I have a Cuisinart and love it. My original one broke and I bought the same one. I believe it is an 11 cup capacity, and I had to search for it to find the replacement. There are just 2 of us now, but it was adequate for our family of four when we had kids at home. My daughter has the same one and uses it all the time, and is not gentle with it. Hers is at least 15 years old. My first one was best guess 25 years old.

I have and use two, a larger, standard Cuisinart and a small kitchenaid food chopper. My Cuisinart is 30+ years old and still in amazing shape. The kitchenaid is about 6 years old and going strong. I routinely beat them up. I am not easy nor kind on my equipment.

https://www.amazon.com/KitchenAid-K...prefix=kitchenaid+food+ch,aps,117&sr=8-3&th=1

This is exactly the one that broke. I had it for about as long as you've had yours. The tiny little part of the lid that activates the motor snapped right off and went flying.

I have been hearing good things about Cuisinart.

You might be able to buy a replacement lid on eBay, or from Cuisinart. I passed my ancient (but still working) Cuisinart to my daughter, and sprung for the big Breville from Costco. It's a workhouse that comes with tons of attachments and can make big batches of whatever. You can also make small batches using their small bowl attachment. I love it.

You might be able to buy a replacement lid on eBay, or from Cuisinart. I passed my ancient (but still working) Cuisinart to my daughter, and sprung for the big Breville from Costco. It's a workhouse that comes with tons of attachments and can make big batches of whatever. You can also make small batches using their small bowl attachment. I love it.
Ya, you can find KitchenAid chopper lids and bowls on eBay, but it's nearly as much as getting a new one.

Too big is when it won't fit where you want to store it. I like my food processor to sit on the counter underneath the upper kitchen cabinets. There are many models too tall for that in my house. I use my food processor for chopping, mixing cookie dough, puree. I don't use for bread. I like the 11 cup size. I need to replace mine because there is a crack in the plastic that holds the blade. I haven't decided that there is anything that fits my size wants better than the Cuisinart.

I have 2 Cuisinarts... an old one from the thrift store for powdering things like rosin and a newer one for cooking. A real work horse and very stable.

For shredding soap, you can't beat a PRESTO Salad Shooter. Wash in the dishwasher and it's ready for chopping salad greens.

Too big is when it won't fit where you want to store it.

Ya. That's what has kept me from getting one all these years. I'll have to take some measurements before I choose.

I use my food processor for chopping, mixing cookie dough, puree. I don't use for bread. I like the 11 cup size. I need to replace mine because there is a crack in the plastic that holds the blade. I haven't decided that there is anything that fits my size wants better than the Cuisinart.

There are a lot of things I'd like to try once I finally have one. Pax (16 yrs) is my pie maker and he'd like to try making crust in it, for example.

@AliOop I looked at the Breville. It is awesome.
Yes it is! I was a serious Cuisinart advocate before this, and I don't know about other Breville products, but this one is a winner.

Mine is the 11-cup size. If I had any excuse to upgrade to the 13-cup, with a few additional attachments, I would. But after six+ years of heavy use/abuse, it still runs like new. I've dumped in a whole large jar of natural peanutbutter - the kind that separates into a pool of oil and a solid chunk of peanut rock - and this machine beat it into perfect smoothness. I've also made pie crust, salsa, pate' from ground round, mashed potatoes, shredded cheese, shredded Brussel's sprouts, nut butter from roasted nuts.... you name it.

Too big is when it won't fit where you want to store it. I like my food processor to sit on the counter underneath the upper kitchen cabinets. There are many models too tall for that in my house. I use my food processor for chopping, mixing cookie dough, puree. I don't use for bread. I like the 11 cup size. I need to replace mine because there is a crack in the plastic that holds the blade. I haven't decided that there is anything that fits my size wants better than the Cuisinart.
With my Breville. I can turn the lid upside down and slide the chute of the lid over the spindle that would hold the blade. This makes it quite short and able to fit under the counter. It also complies with their use instructions, which state not to keep the lid closed on the unit so as to avoid unnecessary stress on parts during storage.

Back