Food colour made a beautiful purple!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cuckoo Bananas

Reaction score
I know everyone suggests not to use food colours but curiosity got the better of me. I used a blue and it's made the most awesome purple, hopefully it doesn't morph too much during the cure, I just love how it is at the moment, i was wondering though, for others who have used food colours, will it come out in the lather and stain face washes :?:

Unfortunately all the food colors I ever used turned to brown. Except the yellow that stayed yellow. Hopefully yours is better quality than mine.

ive never used it, but im told it will color your skin, let us know, if your in a pinch for $, the cheap soap color at michaels does work, not vibrant colors but does work for hp & cp.

I've used the Wilton Gel food coloring in both CP and HP with no problems. The bars I used this on are for personal use but 4 months and counting with no fading and they do not color my skin. It's like anything, if you use too much you will get a dirty lather and if the lather is dirty you may just end up with new skin color. Now if you want to achieve the color of red, stick to mica, or lab colors. The red stays pink.

I did the same thing out of curiosity, and the purple swirl has stayed purple, has not stained either washcloths or skin at all. The lather is nice and white. I wish it would have worked as blue, LOL, but the purple is pretty. My soap has darkened a bit and what was cream and vivid purple is now tan and dark purple, but I think that's totally the FOs fault (Cotton Candy w vanilla in it). I tried the other food colors in small bowl of raw soap and they almost all turned into yucky mustard yellow.

The Michaels colors work, some better than others. The red goes pink and the blue goes purple there too. The aqua does go to a dusky, greyish blue. The wine color becomes a pretty rose color, I just used it in a Rose/Ylang soap and it is a lovely color for that. As I'm getting more into soap making I'm buying the "proper" colors slowly (got blue, yay!) but the Michaels ones for MP do work pretty well so far and are inexpensive.

i have used green and yellow and gotten a very pretty sage-ish green that doesn't stain and doesnt change the lather. it did morph to an ugly caramel/dookie color but then morphed back to the perfect green for the scent. i'd use it again.

Cuckoo Bananas said:
I know everyone suggests not to use food colours but curiosity got the better of me. I used a blue and it's made the most awesome purple, hopefully it doesn't morph too much during the cure, I just love how it is at the moment, i was wondering though, for others who have used food colours, will it come out in the lather and stain face washes :?:

Keep updating CB please. As soon as you tell me that it doesn't morph into something disgusting, I'm gunna do it. I don't care if I turn purple, it's my favourite colour. :lol:

I have used it in M&P & get some odd morphining every time. They look fabulous for a while though.

I think you would have to use a ton to stain your skin.

how much food coloring did you use per pound of soap?
Raha

dolly777 said:
I've used the Wilton Gel food coloring in both CP and HP with no problems. The bars I used this on are for personal use but 4 months and counting with no fading and they do not color my skin. It's like anything, if you use too much you will get a dirty lather and if the lather is dirty you may just end up with new skin color. Now if you want to achieve the color of red, stick to mica, or lab colors. The red stays pink.

I wondered if these could be used for CP, I have them and haven't been game to try. So thanks!
Do you ever use two colours together for swirls or layers? How do they go for that? Do the colours bleed into each other?

Bubbles Galore said:
[quote="Cuckoo Bananas":3w3kddgx]I know everyone suggests not to use food colours but curiosity got the better of me. I used a blue and it's made the most awesome purple, hopefully it doesn't morph too much during the cure, I just love how it is at the moment, i was wondering though, for others who have used food colours, will it come out in the lather and stain face washes :?:

Keep updating CB please. As soon as you tell me that it doesn't morph into something disgusting, I'm gunna do it. I don't care if I turn purple, it's my favourite colour. :lol:[/quote:3w3kddgx]

I have been using blue food colour in my lavender soap for years. This is whipped soap, so pretty much RTCP. The "lavender" colour does not morph or stain and certainly does not fade. I have never measured how much I use, simply add about 1 tsp, blend and then decide whether I want to add more. It is fairly economical to use so do not go overboard the first time you try it.

I am going to try some red which will hopefully give me a nice pink.

Hi All

I have used food colour once and got satisfactory results. i was experimenting with it so kept note of all minor details and here is a synopsis

-- the colour (pink) lasted till the bar of soap lasted.
--never stained my hands/face
--did not morph into any other colour
--did not change shades.

infact i am so happy with the colour that i am going to try some more colours. since these are food colours i guess its safer to use those in soaps instead of some chemicals.

Apurwa.

Nice purple. I'm more comfortable with my lab colors than using food coloring but if you are having success, why fight it? Of course what really got my attention was the runes. I have raidho merkstave tattooed on my calf.

Overthemoon said:
Nice purple. I'm more comfortable with my lab colors than using food coloring but if you are having success, why fight it? Of course what really got my attention was the runes. I have raidho merkstave tattooed on my calf.

:)

I have given up trying to explain the meaning of the sigil. I just tell the customers it is my logo ;)
My daughter is making a triple moon stamp for me too.

Safe colours are not easy to find here and are very pricey to import, so we have to use what is available.

That's awesome. Runes are a passion of mine. I've carved a few sets, made a few bindscript pendants, and at one point could actually read the script without translation but I haven't opened any of my books in a while. I need to do it again.

I can see how lab colors would be expensive to import. I have the good fortune of being in Canada and in the same town as my favorite soap store, so the colorant is just a hop and a skip away.

Hey, it's a magic logo.

Back