FO ?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoapMom

Reaction score
In my last batch I put the FO in the oils before the lye solution and it seems to be ok. I was wondering do any of you have some comments on how the lye burns off the FO. Does it burn it off a lot or just a little. The soap smells great but I'm worried that the smell will fade because of the FO being added before the lye.

I have added FO's to the oils prior to adding lye with no problem. Check the flash point of the FO. Soap gets fairly hot when gelling, so if the FO has a low flash point, I will attempt to stop gel.

Digit

I always add the FO/EO before I add my lye/water.

Oooh, I'm going to start doing this from now on, sounds much easier than trying to juggle a bunch of stuff to add at trace. What about some of the other additives like orris root powder? I added that to the batch I made yesterday, and didn't think far enough ahead to reserve a bit of one of the oils and mix the orris root into that, so I had to scramble to get the powder mixed in before it turned into a fiasco.

TessV said:
Oooh, I'm going to start doing this from now on, sounds much easier than trying to juggle a bunch of stuff to add at trace. What about some of the other additives like orris root powder? I added that to the batch I made yesterday, and didn't think far enough ahead to reserve a bit of one of the oils and mix the orris root into that, so I had to scramble to get the powder mixed in before it turned into a fiasco.

I would think it would depend on the additive.....I've never used orris....you can always try it with a small test batch.

I do the same thing with FO.....another advantage is that it often buys you quite a bit of time with seizing floral and spice scents. :)

I also add my fo or eo directly into my base oils before the lye/water. It was a little trick I learnt on here on this forum and I would never do it any other way now.

Back