FO/clumping q?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luxurious bubbles

Reaction score
Okay, so I used WSP's jasmine fo. As soon as I added it everything started to clump up? I've read others talk about fo's speeding up the process. I quickly poured it into the mold, added color and stirred. So, what now? Is it going to be okay. The clumping was frightening. :(

Don't feel bad Bubbles. Yesterday when I added my apple pie scent to my cp soap, I got instant soap on a stick. :shock: :evil: I had to rebatch mine(which I hate). I think yours will be ok as long as the lye and oils were well mixed. Let it sit for awhile and see what it does.

Could be one of tho things which are very similar:
accelerated trace, which means it goes solid very fast, or ricing - when the addition of the FO makes your soap go all lumpy - it can look a lot like applesauce or rice pudding.

Either way, it's kinda a "wait and see" thing once it's in the mold. when you cut it, look out for pockets of liquid that are caustic. If there are none then you are probably good to go, although the appearance may be mottled or lumpy.

Thanks for the responses! It is great to have the support here.

I cut it and it's definitely mottled/curdled. I didn't come across any liquid pockets, thank god.

Soap on a stick, wow. If I would have left it any longer I bet it would have done the same. It figures this would happen with the soap I'm planning on gifting for Christmas. I did cut with the crinkle cutter which helps the appearance tremendously. Here I'll post pics.

DSC_1102.jpg

DSC_1104.jpg

and here is one without the crinkle cut...
DSC_1106.jpg

Looks good! I'm happy it came out ok. The one that seized on me was supposed to be for gifts, but I don't know how it will look when I cut it. I've never had a soap seize so Fast! :shock:

tamarajane said:
Looks good! I'm happy it came out ok. The one that seized on me was supposed to be for gifts, but I don't know how it will look when I cut it. I've never had a soap seize so Fast! :shock:

Seize, that is the word. :lol: So, how did you end up doing your rebatch? Do you have any pics?

Do you really think it looks okay? Not sure for gifts. I don't want to give out clumpy soap to people who probably think it's weird I make soap anyways. I think I will just use it myself. Which is what I do with my soap anyways. Now I'm scared to use the other floral white tea scent I got. Errr...

I glopped it all in my crock pot and let it cook for about an hour then glopped it into the mold. I had planned to pour it into a 2" pvc pipe mold, but that was impossible! I was trying for a nice red color, but the cooking changed it. I will try to post some pics of the cut soap in a little while. Good luck on your future batches. Sometimes the soap gremlins run amok! :shock: :evil:

Here you go!
IMG_0987.jpg

The blue ones on the left was what I was going for, and you can see what I ended up with! The blue ones are clean linen fo.

I think they both look great. Thanks for posting pictures! It does suck when you have something in your head and it turns out so different. I know I've read that some grate up the soap to rebatch it. I wonder how that works out. I need to do some reading. :D

Latest posts

Back