FO and Salt Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’m gearing up to make my annual batch of Solstice Salt Soap. This will be batch 4 for me, and the first batch I’d like to use FO instead of EO. When using EO previously I used %8. Only one batch retained any scent after the 6 month minimum cure. The FO says %6 usage rate. Can I still use slightly more since it cures for so long?

I’m gearing up to make my annual batch of Solstice Salt Soap. This will be batch 4 for me, and the first batch I’d like to use FO instead of EO. When using EO previously I used %8. Only one batch retained any scent after the 6 month minimum cure. The FO says %6 usage rate. Can I still use slightly more since it cures for so long?
I use 7% FO in my salt soaps. Check the IFRA if there is one. Some FO companies list usage rate around 5 or 6 (like Nature's Garden or the WSP fragrance calc), but the IFRA document will indicate the safe max. It may be more than what the FO lists.

I use 7% FO in my salt soaps. Check the IFRA if there is one. Some FO companies list usage rate around 5 or 6 (like Nature's Garden or the WSP fragrance calc), but the IFRA document will indicate the safe max. It may be more than what the FO lists.
where did you find the IRFA?

where did you find the IRFA?
It depends on the supplier. Nature's garden has a link on the right side of the screen. WSP just lists it as the Max usage. You can email Brambleberry and they will give it to you (not sure if you can find on their site). If you can't find on the site, I would just email the supplier.

Is there a place to find the IFRA for EOs? It’s the moment of truth and I need to decide what I’m doing. Another salt soap with no fragrance that survives the cure because I use EO, or FO for the first time.

When using EO previously I used %8. Only one batch retained any scent after the 6 month minimum cure.
Was wondering about this, thank you for the info.

I haven't gone as high as 8% and none of the EOs that stick for other soaps stuck for my salt bars either. They stuck a lil more for soleseifes but still less than regular soaps.

I have never seen any information on whether or not the chemical potency (for lack of a better word) fades along with the strength of the scent.

For salt bars I just choose fragrances that I know are long lasting, or are particularly strong and actually benefit from losing their edge after a long cure.

I just started using a salt bar I made a year ago November. It still smells good! I used a FO at 3% and still going strong. It was an FO from Bulk Apothecary I was trying to get rid of. Interesting…

The one batch of salt soap I made that the EO stuck super good was one of my earliest batches. Sadly I was newer and a little over zealous with the red mica. They make a very intense red lather! I remember splurging on the EO and using rose geranium, which is expensive. I should look up what else I mixed it with, because a year and a half later and they smell amazing still!!!
I went with %8 cedar, rosemary, and peppermint, colored with indigo and green clay. %100 CO, %100 ppp Salt, and %20 SF. I’m tired!!!

Attachments

• 39EC2B38-35FF-4084-8C08-2EA3E72D851B.jpeg
    39EC2B38-35FF-4084-8C08-2EA3E72D851B.jpeg
    151.9 KB · Views: 6
@TashaBird I really love your solstice tradition. What a great way to celebrate the passing of the seasons. I’ve been thinking of trying to make a salt bar, so you will be my inspiration. Glad the expensive EO was the one that stuck around.

I would love to use EOs in salt bars if you can share more info about which ones stick around. FOs that have stuck around in my salt bars are BB Lush Succulent and MMS Green Tea and Cucumber. Lush Succulent is strong to start with and I also hoped it would fade, but the scent is still going strong after two years. The Green Tea and Cucumber scent seems a little more cucumbery after a year of curing. A lemongrass eo blend pretty much faded away in another batch of salt bars I made a year ago.

I have never found that adding more fragrance results in longer lasting. IME, either it has good scent retention or it doesn’t. I make salt bars regularly and stick to fragrances I know to last well over a year. I don’t use too many EO’s so I can’t help much there.

I made my salt bars in February with Lavender and cedar from Brambleberry. Aroma is still there.
It was 80% coconut oil, 20% Olive oil and 20%SF. 35% salt.
Only bars got a little bit yellow.

Latest posts

Back