Flavoring oil question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoapyQueenBee

Reaction score
I usually use organic baking extracts to flavor my lip balms, but have recently been given some 'formula oils' that are quite pleasing that I'd like to try out with customers. I've been told I need to include the flavoring oil ingredients on my labels, and not just mark it as 'flavoring,' but how do I go about getting that information to include, when it isn't generally provided by the oil retailers? I've looked around at several supplier sites, to see if I could find one that actually lists what goes into their flavorings, and have come up empty-handed. Should I just stick with extracts, or is there a path I haven't gone down yet in finding out this information? Any help is appreciated!

I don't know what you mean by formula oils. I would sure want to know what was in the oils before I risked using it in lip balms, unless it was a sample from a reputable supplier such as Bramble Berry or Wholesale Supplies Plus.

Thank you for the reply. :)
These are from the same company where I purchase my EOs, so I know their product very well, and have tested them for some time in various ways with no adverse effects. The oils I'm asking about are literally just flavoring in a slightly diluted carrier base of almond or coco oil.. I liken them to extracts, if that helps. They smell good, have a very subtle flavor which comes out further (just as my baking extracts) when a bit of sweetener is added.
If I can't find their total ingredients, however, I'm wondering if it wouldn't be best to just stick to the extracts I usually use. Each ingredient in the flavoring is required on labeling, as opposed to being able to simply state '< 1% flavoring,' as I understand it.

I was just reading in Rustic Essentuals (AHRE) that you only need to put 'Flavor" or "Fragrance" and don't need to list all the ingredients. You could go to their website on the how to make lip balm page and read about it there. I hope that helps.

Out of curiosity, which baking extracts do you use? I am just going to start making lip balms and am looking for ideas...

Most of the flavors are just molecules that mimic said flavor or fragrance, these are all trade secrets. Most these chemicals aren't properly named and are just referred to using their chemical makeup, such as butanedione or also referred to as diacetyl, which is used as a artificial butter flavoring.

Thank you for the replies! I've decided I'm just going to stick to the basics I've used (and can label completely!) for years. To me, it's just not worth the risk of mislabeling or misleading any consumers.. and I won't put anything in or on my own body, when I can't see the ingredients, so I won't make/sell anything like that, either.

My most often requested (pure/homemade) extracts are peppermint, vanilla, raspberry, rum and orange. When added at strength, they make my lip balm smell amazing, and just as when baking, adding a small amount of natural sweetener power (not liquid - it tends to give off a metallic taste!) or honey brings out the flavor very nicely.

Do liquid extracts work in lip balms because I make vanilla, mint, and some others using a high proof drinking alcohol. I highly concentrate them but was wondering if they would mix well into the lip balm ingredients. I would prefer to use what I make because I know what is in it if possible.

It would be best to use oil infusions seeing as how lip balms are oil-based. Water soluble ingredients separate out over time, unless you use some kind of an emulsifier.

IrishLass :)

Back