First time here, have ?????

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MKL

Reaction score
This is my very first post here. Had a class on soap making 3 weeks ago and have bars curing for the last 3 weeks. I just made my first batch 3 days ago. My question is, how do you know when the soap has cured enough to use it? Do I need to wear gloves to handle the soap when I remove it from the mold and cut it?
Appreciate any insight you may have for me :)
MKL

Welcome to the Forum and congratulations on your first batch!! I do not wear gloves when unmolding and cutting my soap. For most of my regular CP soaps the minimum cure time is 4 weeks and 6 weeks is even better. Some special soaps (like Castille or Salt Bars) have an even longer cure time - minimum of 3 months. A good long cure increases the loveliness!
Carolyn

Yes, you should wear gloves, unless you're certain that saponification is complete and soap doesn't zap anymore.

Sometimes soap is easier to handle and cut while it is somewhat soft and it hasn't saponified completely.

But that also depends on the recipe/method, many soaps will be completely safe after 3 days.

Back