First Soap

Discussion in 'Recipe Feedback' started by KirstyJay, Nov 8, 2019.

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating:

1. Nov 8, 2019 #1

KirstyJay

KirstyJay

KirstyJay

Hi all. I am embarking on my first attempt at soap making and after a lot of research I have just about got my recipe sorted out and was planning to give it a go this weekend, but I want to use cucumber and aloe vera (fresh) instead of my water.

What is a recommended percentage of Aloe Vera to use? Would 50% be too much? Is it best to add it at trace or with the cucumber?

Could I use pureed cucumber instead of the other 50% and add the lye to that... or would it burn?

If I added some fresh mint leaves and maybe matcha tea or the only essential oils I can get hold of - Tea tree and Eucalyptus - how much is recommended percentage wise? a few drops/teaspoons or a large dollop?

I have a crockpot, so I'm not sure it'd be better doing it CP or HP...

My current recipe is as follows. I live in Tenerife, so the availability of fats is limited. The fats I have included are the only ones I have access to. The only other one I can get hold of is lard (manteca), but my daughter is a vegetarian, so she doesn't want me to use that.

Soap Recipe

1 Avocado Oil 10%
    2 Sunflower Oil 10%
    3 Beeswax 1%
    4 Olive Oil 44%
    5 Coconut Oil, 76 deg 35%
    6 38% water, 5% superfat

Quality

Hardness 39
    Cleansing 23
    Conditioning 56
    Bubbly 23
    Creamy 15
    Iodine 63
    INS 154

Fatty Acids

Lauric 17
    Myristic 7
    Palmitic 12
    Stearic 3
    Ricinoleic 0
    Oleic 41
    Linoleic 14
    Linolenic 1

2. Dec 4, 2019 #2

KiwiMoose

KiwiMoose

KiwiMoose

Hi Kirsty - I just found this post. So sorry that you didn't get a response until now. Did you make the soap? Do you have any more questions? Can you get any palm or other hard oils over there if you are not using lard?