First soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fightingirish

Reaction score
Hey guys. I just finished my first soap earlier today. I did PO 45%, OO 30%, CO 20%, and castor 5%. I soaped a little warm, at approximately 118 F. It traced almost immediately. Is that due to my temps? I blended it a little, added peppermint EO, and blended it till it was a little heavier trace then molded it. I hope it turns out ok.

Palm oil always speeds trace for me, even when soaped cool. Next time try soaping cooler and only stick blend until you see emulsion. Emulsion is the stage where the oils and lye stay mixed once you stop stirring it.
Your soap should be just fine, a heavy trace doesn't affect the finished soap except increasing the possibility of air pockets. I've had soap so thick, it had to be stuffed and smashed in the mold like it was cold mashed potatoes. Congrats on your first soap, make sure and post pics:)

ImageUploadedBySoap Making1417462262.965215.jpg
Here it is, about an hour and a half after pour.

Yay! Welcome to the wonderful world of soap! I too am very new to it but am enjoying finding things out and learning all the time!

What did you use to colour it? Or is that unrefined Palm oil giving the colour?

Thanks guys! I'll get cut pictures up right after I cut it! The color is just from the palm oil. I didn't really expect it, but then again, I didn't really know what to expect with any of this!

Looks good! If you aren't opposed to it...try your same recipe but substitute lard for the Palm oil. My recipe is very similar to yours, except has the lard. It gives me plenty of time for swirls :)

Good job!:clap: the waiting is the hardest part, especially when you first start soaping.

Congrats!! I too am at the waiting stage and it is so hard. My first batch will be 2 weeks old on Saturday and it is going so slow. I know 4 weeks is kinda the minimum you should wait so will give it till then and try it! If ok gonna give to close family and friends for feedback

It gets easier with time. Before long you'll have batches ranging from, wow those are 6 months old, to the new one you just made today. :p

Back