First Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Momonga

Reaction score
Fell behind a week with a sick baby, but finally got to make my first soap.

:-| Here it is. Note the little M&P mold from Michaels. Once again, I ran out of patience waiting for my mail order stuff. "Well, it'll make a [soap]".

1: Drat! L x W x H x .40. Why is it even simple math always kicks my...
2: Looks like I got the dreaded partial gel, although you can't see it well in this pick.
3: Very thick trace! But I did this on purpose because I was playing with it to see how fast it happens.
4: But... I did it! I made soap, and no one died, and no major damage to the property occurred.

Next up, in the pot swirl, and have husband calculate quantities.

Soap.JPG

Woo hoo! Looks great, dont worry about partial gel, next time either insulate with a towel or put in fridge. It's just aesthetic so congrats!

Ooh, your top looks pretty! Great first soap! Who cares about partial gel...sometimes once its cut it evens out appearance wise...and it's only aesthetic. I actually have 6 of those Michael's molds...they're the exact same HDPE (?) material that my other molds are (like my Cumberland slab mold) and they work just fine...however, they're expensive if you don't use a handy 50% off coupon! (Does it seem I always reference a 50% coupon when Michaels comes up?)
For future reference, I find that 32 oz of oils fits this mold if you want fluffy tops. It's sold as a 3 pound MP mold, but it will not hold 3 lbs of oils once you add your water/lye solution and additives. I get (6) 1.5" bars out of these molds. Also, you don't HAVE to line these, but I find the soap removes earlier and easier if I do...otherwise I've had to go the freezer route, which always annoys me...

Congrats on your first batch! As for partial gel - non-soapers will say "Wow! How did you get that oval shape in the middle of the bar like that!" I used to say "oh that's ugly partial gel" but now I say "isn't that cool?" And they agree!! :)

This looks great! I love the top. Great job on your first soaping experience!!!! What FO or EO did you use if you used any? I have been contemplenting buying a mold like this or a silicone loaf mold. You're addicted aren't you?!?!?!?! :grin:

For future reference, I find that 32 oz of oils fits this mold if you want fluffy tops. It's sold as a 3 pound MP mold, but it will not hold 3 lbs of oils once you add your water/lye solution and additives. I get (6) 1.5" bars out of these molds. Also, you don't HAVE to line these, but I find the soap removes earlier and easier if I do...otherwise I've had to go the freezer route, which always annoys me...

Thanks for the gouge! I think it will be a great small batch mold, for my mad experiments.

Cherry Bomb, it was baby powder FO - not my thing, but for my first soap, I decided I ought to use one of the free samples I've got from Brambleberry. So this is a bastille. I'm wondering if I can give it to my little jelly bean for her first bar soap.

7.94 oz. OO
1.47 oz. CO
0.29 oz. Castor Oil

Is that too much CO for a toddler? And yes, that is a tiny little batch. I really don't do math well.

the top looks great. Sometimes I get a partial gel and every time my son says I love the way you did the circle- you should alway do that...

The top is very pretty and it looks wonderful! So what if the math was off a bit, you are learning still and that is what matters! I hope you had fun with it! My first batch is laundry soap now ;-)

Latest posts

Back