First soap with salt and clay

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My first soap adding salt and French Pink and Kaolin Clay and I really like the results. Added half teaspoon of each. Also added 1.5 teaspoon of Sodium Lactate and some titanium dioxide (couldn’t get the batter as white enough)
But wondering what the white dots are? Did the zap test and no zap. Used fine sea salt so don't think it’s that. Maybe the clay? Dissolved them in fragrance and a little of the batter. Or maybe soaped at too low a temp? It was between 90 and 100 and the room was warm.
I wrapped the soap in towels and left alone for 24 then let it sit uncovered for another 24. When it was unmolded it was very shinny and HARD. See the pic with tiny pieces. This is what I got when I shave the edges. This soap is really hard. It reminds me of the stuff I used to use and I was a kid. Is this normal? Maybe I shouldn’t have waited so long after unwrapping it to unmold it?
So many questions! TIA!!

Attachments

• IMG_0142.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0141.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0143.jpeg
    IMG_0143.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0144.jpeg
    IMG_0144.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0145.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
EDIT: I just realized these aren't salt bars. Still, sodium lactate isn't needed when you are using salt - they perform the same function of hardening the soap. Clay also hardens soap, so you had a lot going on there: salt, SL, clay, and waiting way too long before cutting. You should cut when the soap is firm enough to release cleanly from the mold and has slight give to finger pressure.

EDIT: I just realized these aren't salt bars. Still, sodium lactate isn't needed when you are using salt - they perform the same function of hardening the soap. Clay also hardens soap, so you had a lot going on there: salt, SL, clay, and waiting way too long before cutting. You should cut when the soap is firm enough to release cleanly from the mold and has slight give to finger pressure.
Thanks for the answer. No more salt and clay AND Sodium Lactate! :)

One more thing. What about the spots? Any idea what they are?

Your bars are really pretty. I think after curing you are going to have a very luxurious lather. And a long lasting bar.
Thank you!! They are kind of pretty, aren’t they! :)

I agree with all of the above. All your additives made for a hard soap. The crumbles on your table are probably a result of that. The spots look like stearic acid spots which can happen when soaping at lower temps. Your soaps are beautiful!

I agree with all of the above. All your additives made for a hard soap. The crumbles on your table are probably a result of that. The spots look like stearic acid spots which can happen when soaping at lower temps. Your soaps are beautiful!
Thank you! I'm just starting to learn to do this. And this is the one soap I like the best. A very hard soap isn't a bad thing...is it? I really like how shiny it is :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back