First out of the garden - Herbs!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agriffin

Reaction score
When I first planted herbs this year I had the intention of using them for balms/ointments and in my soapmaking. One of my goals this year is to eat healthier, eat fresher, eat homemade and if we can...grow it ourselves to eat.

I didn't really know where to start with cooking with the herbs out of the garden...but last night I just went with it.

I made a marinade for chicken breast that used lemon verbena, rosemary and olive oil. I put the fresh rosemary, lemon verbena, olive oil and a bit of water into the blender and chopped it all up. Then I simply poured over the chicken in a bowl and let it marinate for about 3 hours. I really wanted to grill it but...no charcoal. We cooked it on the stove in a pan until it was nicely browned. This was seriously the best chicken I had in a long time! We usually do some sort of grilling marinade...or rub...This was so much better! and lighter tasting.

I swapped at the farmers market some soap for some little tomatoes - bright red, felt perfect. So I sliced the tomatoes in half for a salad and added some chives, basil, cilantro, lime juice and a bit of salt. It was yummy! I can't wait for our own tomatoes to ripen.

We topped the meal off with some mashed potatoes. (and an after diner margarita!)

I started a garden this year for the first time. It's so rewarding to eat something you grew yourself! I've started added fresh herbs to all my meals and am close to having tomotos, peppers, broccoli, lettuce and a few other veggies. I also have pet turtles and they enjoy tasty treats from the garden every day.

Latest posts

Back