First Lard Batch

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

squyars

Reaction score
So I made my first batch with lard today. I rendered the fat, and had enough to use 20% in a one pound batch. In addition I included CO, OO, Palm Oil and castor oil. At trace I added NGs Deb' s Flower Garden FO and poppy seeds.

I have heard some nice comments about lard, but am wondering if 20% is a good amount. I will probably purchase some lard when I go shopping tomorrow, and would love to hear some favorite recipes using lard.

Thank you.

I've never used lard before but it seems that some people use it in place of palm. Take a recipe you've made before with palm and sub it with your lard. That will give you a good comparison to see if you like it.

I've used lard from 9% all the way to 100%. 25% is where it really becomes noticeable to me but I prefer it at 35% or more. Lard is fantastic, its my favorite hard oil.
Here is one recipe I like quite a lot.
2dchc14.jpg

I have enjoyed how moisturizing lard is, and cheap! Word of warning though, don't heat the lard above 140 or so, the piggy smell is evident in the bar if overheated, although the smell has dissipated through cure. Just gently melt the lard in the double boiler, and take off heat when mostly melted, the residual heat will melt the lard when stirring.

I'll be trying my first lard soap next week. I'm making a Tres Leches soap using 3 milks: almond, goat and buttered. Can't wait to try it. I've heard so many good things about it. I was a little turned off at first, but really I do enjoy a good pull pork sandwich. So what is the difference. I have read about keeping it at low temp because of the smell.

I have used lard from the start of my soap making. My first few batches I used 50% with just almond oil and CO. They were good. I know use it at % with safflower, palm and CO and coconut milk.

We have acne problems which is why I make our own soap. No OO for us as it does not work with our skin. I have a few people outside of the family that use my soap too and just bed for more. :)

I soap at room temp 100 degrees is high for me. We are using my soap for hand washing dishes and cleaning now also.

Lard make a great soap.

I love lard, it makes creamy and wonderful soap. But my biggest problem is, my customers get turned away if I mention lard. So for my "for sale" soap I use Shea butter, but my own bars i use lard!

I used lard to make laundry soap, (100% lard) and it seems to be good soap! Very hard, white bar, easily grated. I'm looking forward to making a nice moisturising soap with other oils added!

Where are you all getting your lard from? I find it way too expensive to use here.

Sent from my iPhone using Soap Making

I use Kathy Miller's recipe as my starting point. I usually use about 22 oz of lard and 22 oz of tallow. I also add some castor, some sunflower oil and a little dab of something "special" - avocado, shea, etc.
45 oz. beef shortening [SIZE=-1](tallow and cottonseed blend or tallow and soybean... see below*)[/SIZE] OR you may substitute lard since I calculated using its SAP value 20 oz. olive oil 20 oz. coconut oil 12 oz. lye crystals 32 oz. cold water

Where are you all getting your lard from? I find it way too expensive to use here.

I buy my lard at Wal-mart in large 35 lb buckets. Where do you live? You may need to call a local butcher and get them to save you fatty scraps and render your own lard. I can't buy tallow (cow fat) in stores here, so I have to render my own.

I buy my lard at Wal-mart in large 35 lb buckets. Where do you live? You may need to call a local butcher and get them to save you fatty scraps and render your own lard. I can't buy tallow (cow fat) in stores here, so I have to render my own.

I'm in Canada. Only lard I've ever seen is the small 1lb blocks of tenderflake - not even sure if those are pure. They used to be but I heard they've changed and contain other oils now. My mom works for a caterer so I might ask if any of the restaurant supply places carry it.

Google tenderflake, it seems as its pure lard. I buy mine in 1lb bloacks, works fine for my smaller batches.

Back