First Lard Batch - It Looks Strange!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

melonie

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

So, I just made my first Lard batch w/GM. First of all, it took forever for me to get to thin trace. I couldn't get it to get as thick as my other batches. I normally had used various vegetable oils and hadn't had any problems before. Also, it turned bright orange after I added the GM with the lye and some honey. I had made honey soaps before and they were never this color. I stuck it in the freezer and I think that it's saponifying. I just hope this batch turns out okay.

So, did I do something wrong or this is just something normal with lard? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks much,

Melonie

The orange is from the milk. Some say it's scorching - but no matter the orange fades somewhat and the resulting soap will be lovely.

Yea, lard takes FOREVER to trace. Take a peek soon to be sure it's not separating - high lard recipes also often give ME a false trace.

Hi Carebear,

Thank you for your response. You don't know how relieved I was when you replied to my thread. All this time, I have been peeking at my soap, which is still in the freezer and worrying. You're right, the orange color has faded, so it's now a tannish color which I'm fine with. I have been worrying because of the very thin trace. I never worked with soaps with such thin trace before and didn't know whether it would turn out okay or not. I think it looks okay, but I really can't tell until I take it out of the freezer and cut it. I hope it won't be partially gelled, but so far it's not separating :D

So, it's normal for lard to not trace easily. I didn't know that. Please explain to me what a false trace is. Thanks again for your help.

Relieved,

Melonie

Latest posts

Back