First beer soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I love first attempts! There is a wonderful mix (for me) of mystery, anticipation, anxiety and excitement. Do I know what I'm doing? Well, maybe a little bit. Sort of mostly. And so it was with my first beer soap. The search feature was used and led me to several threads talking about it but not enough to really flesh out how to go about everything. Perfect for me!
The beer was a left over in a gallon growler of my son's. After three days on the kitchen counter with the lid off and shaking it up umpteen times a day the stuff still had this long lasting fantastic foam. Maybe that's just beer. I'm not a beer expert, just a occasional imbiber. I decided to take the route of boiling it to perhaps preclude the feared volcano effect I had read about. With that done I weighed up everything but the lye and found that my scale was in a uncooperative mood. More on that later. Weighing everything again worked out and resulted in a loss of a mystery mix of oil that only amounted to about 400 grams or so. As this was my first beer batch I didn't add anything else; no colorant, FO, salt or sugar. I figured there was already plenty of sugar in the beer. Blending to trace went well as I added the lye solution very slowly. My greatest concern now was what would happen in the oven. Yep, hard core CPOPer. It seemed ok but lovely wife, mother of my children, keeper of the peace and counter of the coin was not a fan of the odor. Admittedly it was pretty strong but has calmed a bit after cutting. It went well and now I'm looking forward to a couple more beer experiences. Ingredients were pretty straight forward. There was a little bit of leftover babassu and castor to use up and clear shelf space along with CO. lard and OO.
Beer Soap.JPG

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back