First batch of soap. Maybe a fail

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tiqwa

Reaction score
I finally tried my hand at a batch of soap. I took a recipe that I had for a 12 pound batch and reduced it, and went ahead and started. First problem was that I didn't have enough coconut oil (I didn't double check what I had before I went ahead), and I only realized once I started to mix it with the olive oil. After a quick check on a lye calculator with a corresponding reduction in palm oil, I went ahead.

Second error was not stirring vigorously enough, after almost an hour I looked up in a troubleshooting guide and saw that as a possible reason.

Next up, I'm running out of time, I need to be somewhere soon, so I take a chance and pour it into molds.

Today it looks like it is setting, but it also looks like some oils might be coming out of solution. I'll give another day or so and try cutting it and see what happens.

Today I also went back to the store where I got my oils and bought some more and will try again.

They may reabsorb, just let it sit and see.

You may want to get a stick blender, they really speed things up and make things easier.

Did you melt all the oils as well first?

The stick blender was also suggested by the people where I get my oils today.

I'll check the soap until I can cut it, then after 4 to 6 weeks I'll check the ph and see if it is usable.

I think I'll try another batch this weekend.

I suggest you go with a smaller batch size next time. That way if you do have problems not so much goes to waste.

And the most reliable way to tell if your soap is o.k. is still the tongue test. (unless you have a PH meter) Wet your finger moisten the soap then lick your finger. You should not have to wait 4-6 weeks to check, give your soap a week then check it.

Latest posts

Back