First Batch ~ Miserable failure?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CherryGardenGirl

Reaction score
Okay, so I made my first batch of CP soap today! I used the Martha Stewart Dr. Brentridge GM soap recipe. I had to use a Pringles can for the mold ;) We measured out all the ingredients on the scale, but then started having issues! The coconut oil was stubborn melting, the recipe said to heat to 115F but the oils were not totally melted at that point.

The lye and partially frozen goat milk went okay . . . no clumps of lye were left.

After I added the oils, it seemed like it traced way too fast (false trace?) but I stirred it for about 2 minutes--according to the recipe--then poured it into the mold, capped, and left uninsulated.

4 hours later, it looks very strange! There's an orange liquid on top . . . the soap puffed up high in the can/mold, is warm, and looks like a volcano! Is this a gel stage? I just saw some links on this site about gel and it looks similar. If not, what did I do wrong??? So much for book knowledge, huh :)

Probably a noob response but did you run the recipe through soapcalc or the like?

From what I've read, GM soap does best refrigerated/frozen - I even froze my mold before the pour. I did not want any gel though...and I'm a noob so there ya go :lol:

the chemical reaction of saponification releases heat. and in cylinder molds that heat doesn't escape well and you CAN get volcanoes, oozing, sweating, swelling... especially with the added sugars as in milk.

won't know about your result till you unmold it. be very careful, some of the liquid could be caustic. if it's a mess you can rebatch it (search for directions) IF you save all liquid that has oozed out.

Did Martha really recommend making GM soap in a Pringles can? Or was the mold your idea. Just curious.

(and where did you get your coconut oil? coconut oil's melting point is 76 degrees so it should have been totally liquid by 115...)

No, Martha didn't recommend the pringles can ;) she used individual molds. The can was the only handy object that remotely resembled a soap mold! The boys in my family aren't too enthusiastic about crafting a wooden log mold for me . . . maybe a batch of cookies will motivate them.

My coconut oil was from Walmart . . . it does say the melting point you mentioned, Carebear, but I still had a hard time melting it. Perhaps it was the vegetable shortening that was stubborn. And thanks for your comment on the cylinder mold, it gets rid of some worry!

Keep your fingers crossed for the unmolding (I'll wear gloves during the process)!!!

Well . . . it kinda worked!

Unmolding today . . .

I must admit, it has got to be the ugliest soap I've ever seen!!! I worked out the percentages, and my recipe was superfatted. The vegetable shortening clumps are still in the soap--they never melted. And there was some unsaponified olive oil hanging around. But, since I don't feel like rebatching, and it wasn't a complete flop, we're gonna use it, oil clumps and all ;) I do have ideas for next time:
1. do not use pringles can for mold . . . something weird happens to it!
2. make sure the vegetable shortening is melted, then cool oils to right temp.
3. fix handblender's blade.

The mutilated can: yes I'm holding you at suspense . . .

can70F.jpg

The free-ranging olive oil:

MVpanC-071F.jpg

The ugly log of soap:

Mlog2VC-073F.jpg

Told ya it was ugly :)

The grand canyon: it came out that way, those aren't fingerprints.

crackMVC-078F.jpg

Cutting the soap: notice the vegetable shortening.

piecesMVC-079F.jpg

All done: curing on top the fridge. Methinks I'll call it--mushroom soap.

alldoneMVC-080F.jpg

Thats it! Suggestions anyone????? As you can tell--I need all the advice I can get :D

haha - love it! :) at least you are keeping a good attitude about it!

"mushroom soap" very mario bros-esque !

thanks for posting pics as well, I will steer clear of the pringles cans...

did you zap test it? put your tongue to one of those slices and see if you get a zap (or rub a finger on it and put that to your tongue).

Carebear, should I wait until it cures a few more days before I try zap test?

I remember seeing the vegetable shortening at trace, I thought it would finish saponifying in the mold :oops: (beginner's booboo) after poking around with a butterknife, the texture still looks like shortening.

It is embarrasing, but if I had a better mold, and did my oils correctly--it would have been an astonishing first batch ;)

YAY!!!! It is really nice soap ;) It still looks like mushrooms but there is no zap and I cannot believe how moisturizing it is!!! The health food store is no longer going to get $5 a bar from me. Yes, I am addicted now!

I really like the odd shapes it came out...just say..Why YES!!! its supposed to look like that... call it one of a kind artistic design... no two soaps look alike :)

actually I use the pringles cans for RTCP goat milk soap... they actually do work nicely BUT... don't insulate it... don't cap the top... put it in the fridge for a few hours (optional)... then let set out at room temperature for about 24-48 hours.. since it won't gel it will take longer to firm up... granted I don't re-use the cans... I cut down the sides of them (with a box cutter knife just far enough in to cut the cardboard tube) and just take each side of the can off the molded soap ...

oh and before putting soap in the can...cut the metal bottom off and duct tape the plastic lid to the bottom and wrap plastic wrap or a sandwich baggy around it... held on with a rubber band

a question about cutting off the metal bottom. I always have done this but is there anyone who just uses the pringles can with the metal bottom and all?

and I like your mushroom soap!

I have a box labelled ugly and wonderful, because truly some of my best soaps ever are as ugly as sin.

AWESOME job..such an awesome experience,right?? all the highs and lows of soapmaking!

great job!

Well I line with Pringles can with frezzer paper so that lets me use can more than once. I leave can alone but dont use lid.

CherryGardenGirl said:
YAY!!!! It is really nice soap ;) It still looks like mushrooms but there is no zap and I cannot believe how moisturizing it is!!! The health food store is no longer going to get $5 a bar from me. Yes, I am addicted now!

Well done & congratulations. :wink:

Thanks everyone!!! The little ones in my family adore their 'mushroom' soaps ;) Hopefully my second batch will be decent enough to gift out!

I'm just thankful I knew my Crisco wasn't fully melted, otherwise I would have had to toss it.

Oh yeah, how much should I decrease my GM in this recipe??? It's shocking how Martha Stewart could recommend a recipe that wasn't up to par.

funny, i think it just got too hot, someone else had what i think they called a gremlin, it was like a finger coming out of the can. use a drawer or shoe box or cheap mold from michaels?

Wow it did that to the inside of the can? I am so glad you posted this because as much as I have read and read I was just about to do a boo boo myself! UGHHH I found a round metal can at the thrift store and when I saw it I thought, now that will make a neat mold for the soap. But I'm worried about using it now. Cookies came in it and I think it is aluminum! Oh man what a mess I'd had if it melted the can.
I am wondering why it didn't melt the bottom out of the pringles can? Or am I confused again?

Latest posts

Back