First attempt at soap making. Not very pretty, but hopefully it was successful

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neeners

Reaction score
the waiting part is the hardest!!!!!

I know this isn't pretty. I couldn't find an adequate mold for the life of me, so I used a tissue box with the top cut off, but it was no longer square. And there's bubbles in it, but...I didn't burn my skin off or lose an eye, so that's always a plus!

I did this recipe, but used goats milk instead of water. I had large-ish chunks of goats milk and some slush, and the temp of the milk didn't go over 90 degrees!

1000 grams coconut oil
146 grams lye (sodium hydroxide)
380 grams distilled water

it also went through gel phase completely, and now it's cooling. waiting is SO HARD!

IMG-20130824-00565.jpg

Looks like a good soap. N I agree, waiting is the hardest part :)

Sent from my iPad us

The good thing is since it fully gelled you can try it out as soon as its cooled down and cut. Congratulations on your first batch.

thank you all!! I was hoping the colour would be creamier, but I guess time will tell. it's only been about 6 hours, and I can't seem to stop looking at it! will post pictures once its cut.

The good thing is since it fully gelled you can try it out as soon as its cooled down and cut. Congratulations on your first batch.

really? it can be used right away??

You probably could safely but it's best to let it cure for a few weeks. Trying it out won't harm you though. Did you do a zap test?

Just curious, did you HP or CP?

Looks like a success! I love the color too and cant wait to see the cut pics. Especially ambitious with the goats milk, well done.

Congrats on you first attempt! Love the color, and the bubbles give your soap character!!

Can't wait to see the cut pics.

Yes you can use it right away just like HP soap. It won't last as long because it hasen't had time to dry out and it won't be as good as its going to be after a cure but that's the best way to learn how much a good cure benefits your soap formula. If you don't gel your soaps you need to wait much longer for the saponification to finish before trying it.

thanks sistrum!

here are the pictures of it out of the mold and cut. I find it interesting that the top layer of the soap is a pinky colour and the rest is a creamy beige. I had saran wrap on the top...maybe it was reacting to the wrap?

DSC_0768.jpg

DSC_0769.jpg

DSC_0775.jpg

looked at the soap this morning, and the colour has evened out nicely. and yes! I am definitely hooked.....just as I needed another hobby to obsess about..... lol

Looks great! Soap often goes through color changes as it cures and the surface comes in contact with the air.

My first soap did not look half as good. Congrats!

Latest posts

Back