First attempt at HP,soft soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

booboo

Reaction score
Hi, I have been making CP for some time now, I thought I would give HP a try. The first batch was too hot and it seperated, lowered the heat, stick blended it all together again, I done the zap test all was fine, it seemed to have gone through all the stages, put in mold with some botton heat. Still soft a (not as soft) few days later. Total time approx One hour.
Same receipe, not so hot, soaped for about two hours, slight seperation, went through all the stages and still soft next day???
My receipe
80% sunflower
20% coconut
36% lye
I used the full amount of coconut milk (instead of water) as recomended by MMS
Will it harden up or should I rebatch?

No need to worry and no need to rebatch. :) It's perfectly normal for HP to be soft at first because of the full water amount, and in your case even more so because of the high amount of sunflower oil and the full coconut milk in your formula. Just let it sit and do it's thing. Time is your soap's best friend. My own HP batches (made with full water and harder fats) usually don't not harden up significantly until at least a few weeks have passed.

IrishLass :)

Phew.....Thanks for that Irishlass! I thought I was doing something badly wrong.
Would you recommend a stronger lye solution? I didnt want to discount on the water/milk as the mixture was not so smoothe as CP and I could see myself having problems with it being too sticky.

I've been looking high and low for someone that addresses using milk in HP. I forgot to use full water and its a crumbly mess. Can I rebatch? Its about 3 lbs. I have coconut cream powder and goat milk on hand. TFS

Hi Maisy, I can only assume that you can, I see no reason why it can't...... I am hoping Irishlass or someone with experinance will come back and answer our questions :)

Back