First 100% Castillle Soap Batch

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoapDish

Reaction score
I am about to embark on my first 100% OO Castile batch. I have decided to add Sun Ripened Raspberry FO and use Madder Root Powder to get a nice soft pink colour to it. I have actually considered popping a little Castor Oil into the mix (which obviously wouldn't make it 100% OO anymore) to give it a tiny bit more lather, but I'd really like to just go 100% for the first try.

Now, I know that this will be quite a soft batch, so is it recommended that I leave it in the mould for about 72 hours, instead of the usual time frame?

I gel in the oven so I unmould 24 hours later and it's hard. If you don't gel, then yes, it could stay in the mould for some time until it's hard enough. I really, really like to add 5% castor for bubbles. :wink:

Thanks Jenny. This will be my 3rd batch of soap ever. I don't know how to gel in the oven yet, so I'm happy to take things a little slower than usual. :) I might try the Castor Oil. I love extra lather!

Adding castor oil (or coconut oil) has really sped up the unmolding times for me. I have a 100% oo batch and goat milk still sitting in the mold from 2 days ago. Patience is definitely required when going 100%.

Good luck with your soap!

The castor or coconut will also help with the lather. I'm probably one of the few people who doesn't like the lather of castile soap. I prefer bastile over castile because of this reason.

I added buttermilk to a 100% OO batch and it seemed to help a little with the lather. Maybe it was because of the natural sugar in the buttermilk? However, it may not be considered castile because of adding the buttermilk.

Hazel said:
The castor or coconut will also help with the lather. I'm probably one of the few people who doesn't like the lather of castile soap. I prefer bastile over castile because of this reason.

I added buttermilk to a 100% OO batch and it seemed to help a little with the lather. Maybe it was because of the natural sugar in the buttermilk? However, it may not be considered castile because of adding the buttermilk.

Same here...no castile for me. I do Bastiles as well and they are extra awesome with GM or Buttermilk or Yogurt...I could go on and on. :)

I would gel the 100% Castile in the oven. I just preheat my oven to 170 while I'm making the soap and turn it off when I put the soap in and leave it overnight- I can always unmold and cut in 24 hours- just something to think about. I just don't use this process if you add milk to be clear there.

As a matter of fact I'm doing one today. :)

When I am doing a Castile, I always lower the water amount to make it unmold a bit easier.

Stinkydancer said:
Hazel said:

Same here...no castile for me. I do Bastiles as well and they are extra awesome with GM or Buttermilk or Yogurt...I could go on and on. :)

I would gel the 100% Castile in the oven. I just preheat my oven to 170 while I'm making the soap and turn it off when I put the soap in and leave it overnight- I can always unmold and cut in 24 hours- just something to think about. I just don't use this process if you add milk to be clear there.

As a matter of fact I'm doing one today. :)

Is that 170F or 170C? (Sorry if that was a silly question - still new to this). I might give that a try! I'll just have to make sure I don't need to use the oven that night! :D

:D :D

It is 170F which is about 75C. My handy dandy Canadian stove luckily has both C and F on the dials.

Thanks Tim884!

I bought some Castor Oil this morning, so I'm all prepared. Still undecided as to whether I'll go 100% although I have heard that 100% can be a bit slimy. I've used Coconut Oil with OO, but it was pretty much a half and half mix.

I really like my castile, which is 100% olive oil. Once it's in the moulds I put it in the oven for two hours at 50 C. Then leave the moulds in there for the next 24 hours. I make my castile in individual moulds, so I don't have to be concerned about it setting too quickly and too hard ... learned that from a nasty experience with my first batch.

I give it six months to cure and then the lather isn't too bad. Not as great as my usual soap, but most people who buy it report back that they like it. It gets good reviews from people with sensitive skin issues.

Slimy ... I've heard that to, but I put on ALL my labels that my soap needs to be kept dry when not in use. My soap feels a little 'shiny' ... but never slimy.

SoapDish said:
Now, I know that this will be quite a soft batch, so is it recommended that I leave it in the mould for about 72 hours, instead of the usual time frame?

Quite the contrary, for me, on the unmolding. If I let mine sit overnight, It's extremely difficult to cut. I have to completely re-wire my cutter after each batch.

I do 100% OO and love it. It doesn't lather as well as my other recipes, but it feels so good I don't care.

Aaaah! DragonKaz, another South Aussie! I'm guessing you're using silicon moulds for your castile if they're going in the oven? At this stage, I only have a wooden log mould (and a poorly produced one at that). My single hard plastic 3D moulds are few, which I bought for MP soap (which I didn't find as fun and challenging as CP). As much as I would like to add the Castor Oil, I really do just want to get a totally pure 100% Castile under my belt. OO is so easy to come by I can make another batch virtually straight away. With a 6 month cure time, I reckon I could use up most of the current batches I've made! LOL!

JackiK, I guess each batch varies for different people. I will just need to check after the first 24hours to see if it's ready to unmould.

Last month I actually started a thread because I was convinced something was wrong with my 100% OO soap because it was hard as a freaking rock after 24 hours. Way way way harder than any other soaps I make. That is with a 33% lye concentration.

Might soften up more in water once in use, but that gets HARD quick in the mold!

Yes- using less water will definitely result in being able to unmold quicker. I use a 40% lye solution for my 100% Castile's if my FO is a well behaved one (and 33% if it's a bit skittish) and they are ready to unmold and cut within only 12 hours.

I used 'full water' for my very first 100% Castile and it took about a week before I was able to unmold it (even though it fully gelled), and a week or so more on top of that before I felt safe enough to cut it without it going all warpy on me. Never again! :lol:

IrishLass :)

Back