Finally

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The top is from the plastic wrap, happens to my soap sometimes when the plastic touches it.

Good looking soap for your first batch. You are well on your way. Soft soap does tend to stick to blades, but you can just twist it off the blade and all is good. (watch some of Clyde Yoshida's older videos, his soap sticks to his knife too)

Let's see how it is in 5 weeks. It is five weeks , riiight? or is it seven weeks before use?
Use it now - it's safe, because it has saponified. That will give you a feel for young soap. Then try it again after a full cure - 4-6 weeks, typically, unless a high OO content, then it could use more time to become optimal.

ETA:
By the way, what do you guys use as a drying rack?
I didn't see this.
I use a fruit dryer (it's a wooden structure that has wooden slats that I put tissue paper on and the soap sits on the tissue paper.
You can use a cardboard box (uncovered) to cure your soap, but I'm sure others will chime in with other options... I can't think of any right know but I know there are TONS of options for curing soaps.

The top is from the plastic wrap, happens to my soap sometimes when the plastic touches it.

Good looking soap for your first batch. You are well on your way. Soft soap does tend to stick to blades, but you can just twist it off the blade and all is good. (watch some of Clyde Yoshida's older videos, his soap sticks to his knife too)

Use it now - it's safe, because it has saponified. That will give you a feel for young soap. Then try it again after a full cure - 4-6 weeks, typically, unless a high OO content, then it could use more time to become optimal.
That's awesome. Thank you! what do you use as a drying rack, if you don't mind me askin'?

I was super prepared for my first batch and it went amazing. I managed to do 2 very small loafs, two colours layered with mica pencil lines, different scents in each. I felt like a rock star...

But that was definitely beginner's luck because some my subsequent batches were hot, panicked messes! I'm slowly inching my way back to that first batch greatness that gave me all sorts of false confidence LOL

That's awesome. Thank you! what do you use as a drying rack, if you don't mind me askin'?
Something very similar to this -
Fruit Cart.jpg

LOL, that's your 1st soap? You must have been an artisan soap maker in a previous life or something. That's a great looking first soap for sure!

A lot of my soaps are soft after 24 hours and some have been soft after 3 or 4 days (those have both had corn oil in them). As you play with the oils in your recipe and either gelling or not you'll get a feel for how long the soap needs. I have found a wire type cutter to be easier to use than a knife - less surface area for the soft soap to stick to.

As far as drying, I just put mine on cardboard and keep them out of the sun in a well ventilated area. I try to rotate them every couple of weeks.

You're off to a fantastic start.

ETA:

I didn't see this.
I use a fruit dryer (it's a wooden structure that has wooden slats that I put tissue paper on and the soap sits on the tissue paper.
You can use a cardboard box (uncovered) to cure your soap, but I'm sure others will chime in with other options... I can't think of any right know but I know there are TONS of options for curing soaps.
That's what I used...lol. a cardboard box. Thanks for the suggestion.

I made my first batch almost a month ago. I found a hot process castile recipe, printed it out and stood there imagining the whole kitchen was going to blow up when I mixed the lye. I was absolutely thrilled the next day when I unmolded and had a real soap I could use there an then. I used the simplest recipe I could find to make it as easy as possible and put in no additives. I have found simpler recipes since and using those (with cheaper oils) to try different techniques. 5 batches completed now - some CP and some HP - and tomorrow is another HP Castille day - I love the feel of that soap
One lesson I learnt so far - beware of liquid food colourings as some do not come out the colour you want hahaha - here is a pic of my Rosemary soap that was marbled with Cocoa and the other colours were supposed to be green and teal
Beginner Soap Bar 4 with rosemary.jpg

@Edward Sebastian I can't believe you did a hanger swirl for your first batch! That is a gorgeous soap to be proud of whether it's a first batch or a hundredth!

I got a bunch of plastic trays from the dollar tree to cure my soaps on. I like them because then I don't need a dedicated curing area, I can just tuck them around the house - very convenient, because I might have just a single batch or a dozen curing at a time.

Well guys, I unmolded my soap, and here it is. feels a lil' soft, and the edges of the soap got stuck to the blade, but I'm assuming that's from the water being retained in the soap. I'm not sure if the top has soda ash or it's from the plastic wrap I laid on top of the mold before wrapping a towel around it. Let's see how it is in 5 weeks. It is five weeks , riiight? or is it seven weeks before use? what do you guys think? Any critique welcomed. :) Thanks. OH, By the way, what do you guys use as a drying rack?

Looks very nice. My soap stuff to my knife, which is why I got a cheese slicer. Definitely the plastic wraps, happens to me too. As for drying rack...I started with old cookies sheets lined with freezer paper and sat them on the washer and dryer in the garage. As I went from two cookie sheets to four, we went to Home Depot and bought a shelving unit. I can put three cookie sheet on each shelf.

I was super prepared for my first batch and it went amazing. I managed to do 2 very small loafs, two colours layered with mica pencil lines, different scents in each. I felt like a rock star...

But that was definitely beginner's luck because some my subsequent batches were hot, panicked messes! I'm slowly inching my way back to that first batch greatness that gave me all sorts of false confidence LOL
Lol... Very cool.

I made my first batch almost a month ago. I found a hot process castile recipe, printed it out and stood there imagining the whole kitchen was going to blow up when I mixed the lye. I was absolutely thrilled the next day when I unmolded and had a real soap I could use there an then. I used the simplest recipe I could find to make it as easy as possible and put in no additives. I have found simpler recipes since and using those (with cheaper oils) to try different techniques. 5 batches completed now - some CP and some HP - and tomorrow is another HP Castille day - I love the feel of that soap
One lesson I learnt so far - beware of liquid food colourings as some do not come out the colour you want hahaha - here is a pic of my Rosemary soap that was marbled with Cocoa and the other colours were supposed to be green and teal View attachment 44415
NIIIIIICE! Those look wonderful. which process do you find easier. Not that they are easy. Just want to know what you think, seeing as you've done both.

Cavity molds helped me out a lot. I still have those molds for when I don't want to cut bars.
That's a great idea! Thanks! :)

@Edward Sebastian I can't believe you did a hanger swirl for your first batch! That is a gorgeous soap to be proud of whether it's a first batch or a hundredth!

I got a bunch of plastic trays from the dollar tree to cure my soaps on. I like them because then I don't need a dedicated curing area, I can just tuck them around the house - very convenient, because I might have just a single batch or a dozen curing at a time.
:D OH mY Gods! THANK YOUUUU! I was so worried that it wouldn't turn out right. I'm so happy you liked it. I wasn't really sure how it was supposed to look like. The pictures I've seen looked so much better than what I did, I figured well, it's my first try, I'll keep trying till I get it right.... :D Thank you again , Millie!

I remember feeling quite tense and I made a lot of mess due to the tension - splashes and gloops everywhere. I was super paranoid about the lye solution and the soap batter once mixed.
These days, it's all very relaxing with no tension, and consequently, no mess.
That's very true. I can tell it would be a calming hobby to get into, if only I can be calm when I do it...LMAO! I'm a wreck. but I feel next time I'll be more calm, seeing as I didn't melt or blow up the table. HAHAHAAA! Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
That's very true. I can tell it would be a calming hobby to get into, if only I can be calm when I do it...LMAO! I'm a wreck. but I feel next time I'll be more calm, seeing as I didn't melt or blow up the table. HAHAHAAA! Thanks!
The more you make, the calmer you will become. Especially once you experience siezing, ricing, etc., at first they will be nerve wracking, but again, once you gain the experience, it will be more frustrating, than nerve wracking.

Well guys, I unmolded my soap, and here it is. feels a lil' soft, and the edges of the soap got stuck to the blade, but I'm assuming that's from the water being retained in the soap. I'm not sure if the top has soda ash or it's from the plastic wrap I laid on top of the mold before wrapping a towel around it. Let's see how it is in 5 weeks. It is five weeks , riiight? or is it seven weeks before use? what do you guys think? Any critique welcomed. :) Thanks. OH, By the way, what do you guys use as a drying rack? View attachment 44411 View attachment 44412

Thats awesome, especially for your first batch! You’ve got some “soap talent”! Ive only been making CP for 6 weeks and although I’ve made 20 batches now, I still get somewhat anxious during the process although it has definitely lessened a lot. It is so satisfying and just plain fun!

Wait, you're lying, this is your first batch of soap and you used colorants and a swirl?! That photo belonged in the February Challenge! Really, really nice.

My fancy drying rack is a cutting board on top of a cookie rack. I cure my soaps for 4-6 weeks but the longer it is, the harder my soaps are. I can't tell if that's soda ash. After pouring into the mold, I spray with rubbing alcohol before covering with plastic wrap and towels and do not get soda ash. Did you use sodium lactate? It makes soap firm up and you can unmold earlier. Again, great job!

The more you make, the calmer you will become. Especially once you experience siezing, ricing, etc., at first they will be nerve wracking, but again, once you gain the experience, it will be more frustrating, than nerve wracking.
Thanks. :)

Thats awesome, especially for your first batch! You’ve got some “soap talent”! Ive only been making CP for 6 weeks and although I’ve made 20 batches now, I still get somewhat anxious during the process although it has definitely lessened a lot. It is so satisfying and just plain fun!
Thank You! I agree it is rather fun. especially when you see the finished product. :)

Oh Wow! Thank you so much!! But yes, my very first batch. I was a stuttering wreck, you know, It may be a bit of soda ash, that was the one thing I forgot to do, was to spritz alcohol on the top before wrapping, although it looks like the plastic wrap pressed it down. I did use Sodium Lactate. I really hate soft soap when I buy it, like "Dial" is super soft. drop it in the shower and by the time you pick it up, the top layer is already soft to the touch.
I just need to buy some more of the ingredients to make more...lol. I feel like a crack head...lol :D

That's hilarious, Ellie Mae. I hope one day I obtain that soap making greatness you speak of. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I finally faced my fear and jumped into the murky waters. Made my first batch of soap, granted I followed a recipe, but I did it. I have to say, tho' , I felt as if I was a chicken with my head cut off. Is it me, or does everybody go through that whole feelin' unorganized during the process? Not sure how my batch will turn out, but I was a wreck. Anybody else feel that way? Tell me your story of your first batch of soap making. :)
Yes I know how you feel I followed the on line tutorials and all manner of issues occurred but this batch my 6thseems to be the first once that actually worked - my advice stick at it soaping is a skill - let me know how it works out and if you have anny issues maybe I/we can help here

Yes I know how you feel I followed the on line tutorials and all manner of issues occurred but this batch my 6thseems to be the first once that actually worked - my advice stick at it soaping is a skill - let me know how it works out and if you have anny issues maybe I/we can help here
My first batch was 100% olive oil and I'm using it now in my kitchen. I followed the directions I saw online and through reading exactly and the soap turned out fine. It has a cinnamon scent is very hard, but no issued. My other three batches are the same. They have various oils in them (lard is my favorite) and they came out very well. I have not tried any of the "art" work yet, but I have the molds to do it. Just not the time. I'm busy finishing a book.

LOL, that's your 1st soap? You must have been an artisan soap maker in a previous life or something. That's a great looking first soap for sure!

A lot of my soaps are soft after 24 hours and some have been soft after 3 or 4 days (those have both had corn oil in them). As you play with the oils in your recipe and either gelling or not you'll get a feel for how long the soap needs. I have found a wire type cutter to be easier to use than a knife - less surface area for the soft soap to stick to.

As far as drying, I just put mine on cardboard and keep them out of the sun in a well ventilated area. I try to rotate them every couple of weeks.

You're off to a fantastic start.
Oh Wow! Thank you so much for the kind words. I am a creative person. I'm an Artist, Photographer, Painter. I guess, being a meticulous person helps. I bought a soap cutter with a choice of blade cutter, wire cutter and beveler.
I guess drying it on cardboard is okay then. That's what I was doing, but thought it might stick to it or something would go wrong. Thank you again.

Latest posts

Back