Finally! Somebody really needs to... but it won't be me

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

my2scents

Reaction score
Finally after a Buzillion batches of soap made in every different way ,with
every different combination of various soaps under different conditions & with years passed I have found my "basic " go to recipe for my regular soaps, my exzema skin soaps, & my puppy soap!
I thought I would NEVER see the day, but I am finally happy with my recipe & I think it has all the right qualities.
Creamy lather
Moisturizing
moderately hard bar that lasts a decent amount of time
Feels like Heaven while gliding on your skin
rinses of cleanly
economical to produce
great ingrediant list appeal
& NO I will not share :)
Having said that , somone NEEDS to write an updated, comprhensive Soaping book with scientific chemistry based information.
& NO it won't be me. ( most of my notes look like the ramblings of a Lye sniffing , bubble blowing soap crazed lady) :)
Theres alot of O.K., but not toatally on point soaping books out there.
I love Cooks Illustrated for go to recipes while cooking because they test each recipe 20 different scientific ways with many different ingrediants & then give you the best results with a comprehensive explanation of why some recipes failed & why the published one worked & was the best.
This could have taken alot of stress & wasted $$, not to mention wasted
time out of my life.
Any of you experts out there up for the challenge?

Aw come on, I'd be willing to bet you enjoyed your experimentations just a little bit! ;)
And now you have some serious bragging rights too!

um ... well , yes ! :oops:
But there were & still are times when somthing goes amiss & I feel like drinking my lye & calling it a day!

my2scents said:
every different combination of various soaps under different conditions & with years passed I have found my "basic " go to recipe for my regular soaps, my exzema skin soaps, & my puppy soap!
I thought I would NEVER see the day, but I am finally happy with my recipe & I think it has all the right qualities.
Creamy lather
Moisturizing
rinses of cleanly
economical to produce
Having said that , somone NEEDS to write an updated, comprhensive Soaping book with scientific chemistry based information.
& NO it won't be me. ( most of my notes look like the ramblings of a Lye sniffing , bubble blowing soap crazed lady) :)
I love Cooks Illustrated for go to recipes while cooking because they test each recipe 20 different scientific ways with many different ingrediants & then give you the best results with a comprehensive explanation of why some recipes failed & why the published one worked & was the best.
time out of my life.

Years?

Anyway, I'm guessing you've never heard of Dr Kevin Dunn, from Hamden-Sydney.
http://www.amazon.com/Scientific-Soapma ... 901&sr=1-1

I had the honor, along with several others here, to proofread the draft versions.

I recommend it for any soapmaker, no matter what your experience.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ohhh this looks like a great book, to bad its not available for Kindle
I'm going to have to order it. Thats exactly what I was thinking about.
Yep, not to toatally date myself but we made Soap in high school & I graduated in '88.
I've been using , buying & making handmade Soap since the early 90's.
Its interesting that there seems to be a huge intrest in cold pour soap in Austraila... any body know why?

my2scents said:
Ohhh this looks like a great book, to bad its not available for Kindle
I'm going to have to order it. Thats exactly what I was thinking about.
Yep, not to toatally date myself but we made Soap in high school & I graduated in '88.
I've been using , buying & making handmade Soap since the early 90's.
Its interesting that there seems to be a huge intrest in cold pour soap in Austraila... any body know why?

I guess I was confused by this post.
http://www.soapmakingforum.com/forum/vi ... ht=#188678

Thats when I decided to take it on as a full time thing , invested in alot of equiptment & bulk suppiles , Soaping several times per week instead of just doing a very plain uncolored sandlewood batch quarterly to get me by.
To me theres "Soaping " & then theres doing the above

I hem pants & sew a button on here & there from time to time because I have to..
But thats not really sewing.

my2scents said:
Thats when I decided to take it on as a full time thing , invested in alot of equiptment & bulk suppiles , Soaping several times per week instead of just doing a very plain uncolored sandlewood batch quarterly to get me by.
To me theres "Soaping " & then theres doing the above

I hem pants & sew a button on here & there from time to time because I have to..
But thats not really sewing.

oh. I see.

Deda said:
my2scents said:
Creamy lather
Moisturizing
rinses of cleanly
economical to produce
time out of my life.

Years?

I had the honor, along with several others here, to proofread the draft versions.

Thanks Deda! I will be adding this book to my wishlist.

Congrats to you for finding "your" recipe! :D

While I'm sure you had fun experimenting along the way, it must feel nice to have one recipe you love and can masterbatch. I am close, but not quite there yet.

I know what you mean about soaping. Sometimes I take time away from it as I did when my teens were around all summer and other times I soap like a crazy person! :D

tisci said:
Deda said:
Years?

Thanks Deda! I will be adding this book to my wishlist.

It's a fabulous book. Having been a proofreader I've gone through it several times yet each time I find more I missed.

Love your post ... I hope one day that I find a recipe that becomes the one I'm content to work with. Not sure it will happen ... but I'll keep hoping!

Congrats!

Congrats on finding YOUR recipe!!!

And thanks for the book reference.

Deda said:

It's a fabulous book. Having been a proofreader I've gone through it several times yet each time I find more I missed.[/quote]

I loved this book! My husband and I constantly refer to it and lots of other things Kevin Dunn has written. It was actually the first book we bought after we gave up our hoarded library books we read for 6 months.

Thanks Deda for the book reference, so kind of you to share

Every time I think I have the "perfect" recipe, after a while I come up with a way to improve it. Sometimes by accident or sometimes I wake up with a what if idea. I think it is part of what makes soap making like an addiction. At least for me.

Latest posts

Back