Finally put my big girl panties on!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I did it... I made CP-OP soap finally after months of procrastinating about the lye! It's sandalwood FO with a touch of Patchouli EO although I cannot smell the patchouli now.

On the top of the entire loaf it looks different... like it's a little dryer then the rest. I am assuming that's soda ash?

I used TD, red and blond sandalwood powders for colorants and a teaspoon for swirling. It wasn't near as hard as I anticipated and I'm happy I finally tried it!

I ordered a soap planner from Etsy but I think it has some issues or it's just me. I keep getting these streaks going across the bars. I tried cleaning the blade with a soft tooth brush but still getting the same problem. I tried planning softer with hardly any pressure, medium pressure and harder pressure. I'll have to contact the maker and see if he has any suggestions.

Anyway, here is my first lye soap!

Sandalwood CPOP 2 Middle.jpg

That looks gorgeous! I love the colors and the swirl. I have made a lot of batches but still haven't worked with swirls. Nice job for your first CP!

Also that does look like ash to me, in case you weren't positive. :)

That looks gorgeous! I love the colors and the swirl. I have made a lot of batches but still haven't worked with swirls. Nice job for your first CP!

Also that does look like ash to me, in case you weren't positive. :)

Jules, I wasn't positive about it being ash. I've seen pictures of it but never seen it in person. I will try spritzing some alcohol on it to see if that makes a difference. Experimenting time.

Thanks!

It's weird that CPOP soap would have ash though... I gel my soaps and they're always ash-free. I made a soap that partially gelled and the gelled inside had no ash, but the ungelled outsides were covered after a couple days :-x It could also be that your soap is just drier on the top because of the way the water is evaporating from it.

Congrats on your first batch! I'm thinking it may be the sandalwood powder that's causing the streaking when you cut. Any additives that don't dissolve, like oatmeal, calendula petals, etc. will drag across the surface of the soap when you cut and leave lines. If I'm correct, the sandalwood powder doesn't dissolve, so that would be my guess. It's still lovely.

Congrats on your first batch! I'm thinking it may be the sandalwood powder that's causing the streaking when you cut. Any additives that don't dissolve, like oatmeal, calendula petals, etc. will drag across the surface of the soap when you cut and leave lines. If I'm correct, the sandalwood powder doesn't dissolve, so that would be my guess. It's still lovely.

Ahhh, I never even thought about that! Your right... the sandalwood powder does not dissolve and then I did put a little more of the red powder in then the blond to. I made another small batch of soap with no powders in it yesterday and will cut that later on. I'll be anxious to use the planner on that one to see if it is indeed the powder causing those streaks.

Thanks!

It's weird that CPOP soap would have ash though... I gel my soaps and they're always ash-free. I made a soap that partially gelled and the gelled inside had no ash, but the ungelled outsides were covered after a couple days :-x It could also be that your soap is just drier on the top because of the way the water is evaporating from it.

Austin, I seen your pictures. Soap making really is a finicky thing isn't it. The batch I made yesterday I did not put into the oven. I'll wait out the 4-8 weeks or whatever its going to take. That's if it turns out! :???:

my my my thats a tasty looking soap! I bet it smells lovely.

I just washed a batch of soap that had ash on top and drag marks - I wore latex gloves (so no fingerprints) and used an old nylon or bath scrub cloth to lightly rub at the ash and drag marks. Worked a treat!

my my my thats a tasty looking soap! I bet it smells lovely.

I just washed a batch of soap that had ash on top and drag marks - I wore latex gloves (so no fingerprints) and used an old nylon or bath scrub cloth to lightly rub at the ash and drag marks. Worked a treat!

Thank you, Seawolfe! Also for the info on washing my soap! :) I will give it a try. When I do this, would you recommend cool water or warmer water or does it just depend on how bad the streaks and ash are?

Thank you, Seawolfe! Also for the info on washing my soap! :) I will give it a try. When I do this, would you recommend cool water or warmer water or does it just depend on how bad the streaks and ash are?

I used cold water :)

Wow, that is just amazing for a first soap! You were so brave to try swirls on a first soap!

Welcome to the addiction! There is no cure for it. You will find yourself looking at everything as either a container or an additive for soap now. Just warning you.

Latest posts

Back