Feeling the pressure

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ToniD

Reaction score
This is silly, I suppose, but I feel so intimidated. My neighbor ha s been making soap for 30 yrs. she got instruction and a recipe all those yrs ago--and that is all she has ever used. No scents, colors, no exploration of diffe rent oils or recipes. She never knew lye calculators exsisted. She has a to die for mold and cutter, but it is huge. When she asked how many bars I make at a time and I said 10 , she was a bit shocked, I think. She is used to making one batch a yr, that gives her all the soap she uses.

Anyway, she wants to explore some different recipes and scents...and I am supposed to be the guide.

Ive taught a few people to make soap, but it seems easier when starting from zero knowledge. I need to respect all those yrs of experience, and yet in some ways she is completely inexperienced. It's hard to figure a starting point.

Maybe start her off with natural colorants, like herbs & stuff? Or is she wanting to go full on ultramarines, neons, & micas?

How about starting with a small batch of her old reciepe, with the oils she is used to, dont forget to run them through soap.cal.
but make the oils lavender- or camille infused, or another herb/flower.
Small change in colour and scent, but the same soap.
I bet she has some ideas, what she would like to try, after so many years with the same soap.

I think a good starting point is to ask her specifically what she wants to learn and start there. If she wants to make smaller batches then showing her how to use use a soap calculator is an essential starting point. Then maybe go over different properties of oils to see what she desires in a new recipe? From there, if she wants to try new colorants, etc. then let her be your guide in what she wants to learn. :)

I think working with your neighbor could be a lot of fun!

Lynnz said:
Wow all your soap for the year in one hit........................Oh my introduce the dear woman to colour and fragrance :D :D :D makes soaping fun fun fun

Yes, make soaping fun as well as a means to a soap that is kinder to her skin, which is why she makes it.

One of the soaps I gave her had a Lynn top--she was sooo impressed! (your fame and name continue to spread :) ) Couldn't imagine how I did that. Her recipe must have an incredible amount of water in it. She leaves it in the mold for about a month till it is firm enough to cut. So naturally it is way to soft to do a textured top.

Thanks for the thoughts and input, everyone. We will do a recipe with a hard oil (she has always used all liquid oils and wants to add a hard one) and a in the pot swirl.

Back