Feeling Dizzy when mixing the oils with Lye

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nicebubbles

Reaction score
Greetings all, I'm new with soap making, had a few small batches to see how it goes and all came successfully.

Question I have is, I make my lye water out of my house, in a open space and I use all the safeties, however, when I bring the solution back to my kitchen and start mixing it with the stick blender, I can smell a bit of lye and it makes me feel dizzy and my heart starts racing a bit.

Have you experienced something like this, should I use gas mask of some sort while mixing the lye ?

I'm using 99.0% of soda caustic solution.

Thanks in advance

I'd invest in a good mask if it is bothering you. Everyone is different, so experiences are going to vary. I've taught one-on-one soapmaking classes with individuals who had no problems with it, and then I've had some who had to completely step out of the room because they were coughing. If you have an exhaust fan you can run, see if that helps too.

I know everyone is different but I've never heard of the scent of lye/oils making someone dizzy. If you were breathing in actual lye fumes, you would know it as it hurts badly.

I have to ask if you are very nervous when making your lye or soap? Any chance you might be hyperventilating? I know when I have panic attacks, I get dizzy and my heart races.

Welcome, Nicebubbles! :)

Lye only bothers me if I happen to breath in any of the mist/fumes when I am dissolving it into my water to make the solution. The hot vapor that rises up from the exothermal reaction as it's dissolving irritates the lungs and shouldn't be breathed in. It only took me one time to learn that lesson (caused a coughing fit).

When I make my lye solution, I do so outside in my garage and use a mask to keep from accidentally breathing in any fumes. My 'mask' consists of three, tightly-woven, triple-ply, cotton diapers stacked on top of each other. I fold the stack over onto itself in thirds 'letter-style', then further fold in into thirds horizontally, making for a 72-layer barrier. I hold this over my mouth and nose with my left gloved hand while mixing my solution with my right gloved hand. Works great for me at keeping the fumes out.

Once the lye is completely dissolved and the solution has cooled sufficiently enough to have no more rising vapor, I am able to soap with it perfectly fine without the need of my mask.

IrishLass :)

I guess this is rather crude but since heat and steam rise, I set my pitcher on a table in another room and then kneel to mix my lye into the water. I'm well below any vapors while mixing. I then hold my breath to rise and leave the room for a few minutes. Since I do the heat transfer method, I only leave it until it's clear, then pour it over my solid oils, By then there are no fumes at all.

I have to ask if you are very nervous when making your lye or soap? Any chance you might be hyperventilating? I know when I have panic attacks, I get dizzy and my heart races.

I had this thought too! Carrying lye so far would cause me anxiety and therefore those symptoms.

It's most probably just psychological. You have read about how caustic sodium hydroxide is and have some fear.
NaOH isn't actually "poisonous" - it burns. So, like someone already said, if it is the lye, you will feel pain, not dizziness ;).
NaOH is fortunately not too aggressive (in the sense that it doesn't burn immediately). If you get some of it on your skin, it will start itching and you can go and wash it off before it actually burns/damages your skin :)

however, when I bring the solution back to my kitchen and start mixing it with the stick blender, I can smell a bit of lye and it makes me feel dizzy and my heart starts racing a bit.

This sounds more like the fear of working with the lye has caused you to have mild panic attacks.

You have conquered the major hurdle...making your first batch. If you can remember this each time and repeat that to yourself, you will find that that these symptoms should start diminishing. I know I had the biggest fear of working with lye and even took extra anxiety meds before I started my first batch, but now, it seems like I was just making a bigger deal out of nothing. Yes, we have all probably had that same fear, but for some of us it was worse than for others. I mix my lye solution in my kitchen and today I laugh at myself for how nervous I was when I first started.

Take a few deep breaths before you start your next batch and tell yourself "I got this. It's not that bad at all." You will be amazed at how just those few words will decrease your anxiety and you won't feel the dizziness or like your heart is beating ten thousand beats per minute.

Hello all, thank you very much for all your replies, well, once I’m very sensitive when chemicals are involved, I decided to buy a good gas mask and see how it goes.

Happy soaping :)

Latest posts

Back