Feeling Discouraged!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yay! That came out nicely after all :) It's an interesting point about the Saran versus towel, if you're trying to keep it cool it makes sense to let it breathe. I like the square look too. Bet it smells gorgeous :)

Sent from my iPad using Soap Making

Newbie here. The brown tones aren't a result of DOS, right? Would/could DOS appear this quickly? How can you cut back on the bubbles? Would tamping the mold once the soap was poured help with the bubbles? Trying to learn as much as I can before my first go.

OP, beautiful soap! Love the swirls and the colors look nice even with the discoloration. If you hadn't said anything I wouldn't have known there was an issue. I'm sure this will still make an awesome soap!

Sent from my iPad using Soap Making
Bubbles can come from over stirring with a stick blender. It does help to tamp the mold as well. Don't over stir with the blender.
Dos (I've only had it once in 20 years) takes a little while to appear, I think at least it did for me- maybe a few weeks.

Bubbles can come from over stirring with a stick blender. It does help to tamp the mold as well. Don't over stir with the blender.

Wow! This time I tried to go easier with the blending. I see I've still got to pull back some.

Sent from my iPhone using Soap Making

You can get bubbles from stick blending in air, and tapping the stick blender on the bottom at an angle can get rid of the air trapped under the bell before you turn it on. Also making certain the entire bell is submerged will help keep air bubbles to a minimum. Tapping or banging the mold can bring bubbles to the top.

Bubbles can also occur when there is overheating. People find them a lot in CPOP, esp along the side and bottoms of the soaps if their oven has been too warm, but they can appear anytime the soap overheats. That's not from blending but from the overheating itself.

The brown spots aren't DOS. I was wondering if it might have been from some mild separation and the essential oils but who knows. DOS take weeks to develop so it's not that and DOS are a more definite orange rather than brown. I don't know if you will ever know what happened to the top of this soap, but it looks like a save to me!

Hi - just my 2 cents - but I think it looks beautiful - regardless of the *glitch*. Not that you can even see it.

Cheers,
Joy

It looks gorgeous cut, soap is so fickle, we plot and plan and pray and it does what it wants to..

Hi There! You've done a beautiful coloring & swirling. I can smell the jasmine from here. Perhaps you could learn more by letting the soap go through the curing process. I don't color so I don't have magic advice, but I have learned that the soap does need plenty of time to mix after the lye addition. It needs time and movement to allow all the ingredients to come into contact and chemically bond. This may just be a surface blemish, and it could cure into something wonderful...

Back