Feel of stearic acid vs. cetyl alcohol

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sunny

Reaction score
Can anyone explain the difference of the FEEL of a lotion made with stearic acid vs. one that is made with cetyl alcohol? Does one glide better than the other?

I am formulating a facial lotion and wonder if one is better than the other for this application, or maybe both together is better? I was going to order some stearic acid but wonder if I may need both.

ETA: I am asking because of this comment from Swift's blog...
January 4, 2011 7:10 PM
Susan Barclay-Nichols said...

Hi Jane. You can generally switch cetyl alcohol and stearic acid in most recipes, but it will change the skin feel from a slippery lotion to a more grippy cream. It's okay if the recipe isn't exactly 100% - 99% to 101% works just as well.

I can't tell which ingredient she is referring to as "slippery" or "grippy." I THINK I want the more slippery thing for a facial lotion. Right?

Too much stearic acid can make the lotion draggy. Cetyl alcohol will give you more thickness. It depends what you want your formula to do.

In my experience, the stearic will make for a "draggier" cream and the cetyl alcohol will have the better glide. I'm not sure which would be better for your purposes, but I would guess the cetyl alcohol for most skin types.

photoshadows said:
In my experience, the stearic will make for a "draggier" cream and the cetyl alcohol will have the better glide. I'm not sure which would be better for your purposes, but I would guess the cetyl alcohol for most skin types.

I agree, based on my limited experience.

Latest posts

Back