Feedback request, reverse secret feather

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So got a result that did not match the fantasy.... I was going for a Christmas tree -- but got colorful blobs instead. If anyone is successful with this technique, I'm open to feedback! I stirred to emulsion and used a plain old wire hanger. I want to try again but am thinking that I should:
- use a thicker gear tie
- soap at thin trace
- pour a wider ribbon of the colors
Hit me up if you've got some advice! Much appreciated. Remember, Santa's watching....

Attachments

• unnamed (2).jpg
    unnamed (2).jpg
    160 KB · Views: 49
  • unnamed (1).jpg
    unnamed (1).jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 45
I am not familiar with a reverse secret feather. These are my secret feather swirls. Is this what you are trying to do?

i pour a ribbon of color down the middle, then white down each side of the color. Then white down the middle of the color. Repeat. Insert hanger into the middle all the way to the bottom, then sweep across the bottom in one direction and lift straight up and out the side

i also start by pouring about 1/3 white in first at the base

Attachments

• 4C53DE6F-A7DE-4E83-8173-976769C722C8.jpeg
    4C53DE6F-A7DE-4E83-8173-976769C722C8.jpeg
    139.1 KB · Views: 35
  • 19BEC581-B16F-417D-BA05-26897D5E1FFF.jpeg
    19BEC581-B16F-417D-BA05-26897D5E1FFF.jpeg
    252.5 KB · Views: 29
Thank you and your soaps are beautiful. The reverse secret feather is where you start with the tool on the bottom and pull up to create a tree shape. Just curious, what tool did you use, how wide were the color ribbons, and what trace did you pour? Thanks. This is what I was going for:
1602590059381.png

Here's my reverse feather swirl from 2 years ago. One of the "secrets" is to make sure you pour your contrast colour in the same spot each time and tapering off as you go up. My hanger tool is 1/4" stainless steel from a broken rack that was around here. My husband managed to bend it to shape to fit my mold. I didn't get it exactly as I wanted it but I remember being pretty happy about this one.

20181117_142546_HDR.jpg

Here's my reverse feather swirl from 2 years ago. One of the "secrets" is to make sure you pour your contrast colour in the same spot each time and tapering off as you go up. My hanger tool is 1/4" stainless steel from a broken rack that was around here. My husband managed to bend it to shape to fit my mold. I didn't get it exactly as I wanted it but I remember being pretty happy about this one.

View attachment 50503
Thanks, @Misschief! These are super helpful tips and I appreciate them. Round Two tonight, fingers crossed.

I've never done a reverse feather swirl, but have done a feather swirl. My tips would be to mark on the ends of your mold where you are pouring the color to keep it in the same place. Thin trace will produce wispy feathers, medium trace will produce a thicker one. Holly of Kapia Mera does the secret feather technique so beautifully. She has several videos on YouTube. I think she generally uses a medium trace. Here is a link to a diagonal reverse feather video she made.

As with so many techniques, it is trickier than it looks. There was also an SMF challenge with the secret feather, so you could look there to see if there are any other helpful nuggets. Examples of soaps I've done with medium vs. thin trace

diagonal slice with feather.JPGsecret feather.JPG

I've never done a reverse feather swirl, but have done a feather swirl. My tips would be to mark on the ends of your mold where you are pouring the color to keep it in the same place. Thin trace will produce wispy feathers, medium trace will produce a thicker one. Holly of Kapia Mera does the secret feather technique so beautifully. She has several videos on YouTube. I think she generally uses a medium trace. Here is a link to a diagonal reverse feather video she made.
. Examples of soaps I've done with medium vs. thin trace

View attachment 50506View attachment 50507

Ooh, I love your blue one! Some nation needs to adopt that as their flag! "Simple" (I'm sure it was complicated) and elegant.

I appreciate your tips. Will definitely use a thicker trace tonight. Tho' I was proud of my emulsion (still new to me), I realize it's not right for the design.

I have to laugh because I've wached Holly's videos over and over and over and am in awe every single time. I'm usually a neat soaper so as to not waste a drop. But the night I did this, my wife was holding the hanger tool in place and trying to work around her was awkward. I was dripping all over the mold, table, floor, having to dig out colored drops from the white, then I knocked over dispersed mica. I just thought I am sooo glad I am not getting filmed right now and this is definitely NOT what I see on YouTube Land! LOL.

Thank you @Zing. I would so love to be a neat soaper, but rarely am. I usually manage to get batter on my gloves, and it goes downhill from there. If you can somehow mark the (intended) pouring line, you could probably lean the ends of your hanger tool against the side of your mold. The sides and bottom aren’t really involved in the design. Just a thought.

<unhelpful reply incoming>
Soaps like these ^ (that earlene posted) make me cry. I will never make a soap so elegant, beautiful, and visually well constructed. Ever.

Latest posts

Back