Favorite stock pot for soaping?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisnkelley

Reaction score
I haven't purchased my stock pot yet. I know I want stainless, but what would you recommend? Does it matter how thick the pot is? I looked at Walmart and found nothing, but found several at amazon and ebay. I just don't know which I should get, and don't particularly want to spend $75 on one.

I'm fairly new at this, but I've made about 15 batches or so and I actually prefer a very large pyrex measuring cup for melting the oils and mixing the soap. I do about 2 lb. batches and it fits well - with room to spare. You could probably fit a 3 or 4 lb batch in my pyrex. I forget how many cups it holds.

I also have a stainless steel pot that I bought at a soap making store in San Diego when I was down there. I've used it for about half of the batches. It works well, but frankly, it's so big that I can't get as much depth as I'd like when I'm using my stick blender. That's why I prefer the Pyrex. The pot will be great when I'm ready to make a 6 pound batch, but for now, I prefer the pyrex.

Thanks for the advice. I'd never heard of using a pyrex instead of a pot. So you just put the pyrex right on the burner?

If they have Big Lots in your area or other deep discounter look there. I recently purchased 3 24-quart stainless steel stock pots for $20 each. NO shipping!

I use Pyrex (8 cup) for my smaller 7 bar test batches. The container is only about 1/2 full when I do this.

Figure out how large your batches are going to be and then look for the pot/measuring cup.

Edited for clarity.

I found a thin stainless steel stockpot at Big Lots for $7.00 - it works just fine. Like SudsyKat, I usually make soap in 2 lb batches and have found that a very large heavy duty plastic mixing bowl with a lip for pouring & a handle works great. It is much easier to pour the soap from; the stockpot was awkward & hard to hang on to while I was scraping the soap out.

I do 2 lb batches too .. and use a big 8 cup measure cup - Ck dollar store, dollar general or your grocers 1.00 items.. grocery is where I found my 8 cup measure cup for a buck.. and at dollar store I got 1 cup measure cups for a buck each.. works great form making different colors..
I do have stainless pot I got from wally world for about 20.00 but if mixture is shallow, it splatters with stick blender.. so I only heat oils in pot.
I like having a handle to pour.

Edited to add -- my measure cups are plastic

This is very helpful! I'm glad I asked you guys :) I am going to be making small batches at first to try different things and get the hang of it. I'm going to have to check out the dollar store and get a 8 cup measure and a big plastic bowl - I hadn't thought of that. Maybe I'll go ahead and get the cheap stock pot I found on amazon just so I have it if needed.

I really appreciate all of your help and advice!

chrisnkelley said:
...So you just put the pyrex right on the burner?

Definitely do not put the pyrex on the burner. It's glass. I put it in the microwave at 50% power for 30 sec. to 1 min. bursts. I check it after each time and stir as needed until all the oils are melted. Then, I take it out of the microwave and add the lye water to it (assuming my temperatures are where I want them to be).

Also, one thing I've noticed about cheap measuring cups (the cheap "glass" kind) is that they break VERY easily. Any accidental tap on the counter can cause them to break. My glass pyrex measuring cup is a very heavy, thick glass. I would imagine that a decent plastic one, like the ones other people have described on this thread, could work well also.

I like having the handle and spout also, but I have read that lye or raw soap will eventually make the glass/pyrex break. I do use a big pyrex to melt my solid oils in the microwave. I got a thin SS pot, 6 quart, at a department store. Nice size.

I actually use plastic buckets. There is a restaurant supply store around the corner from me. They sell these lidded buckets that come in several sizes. I have six in three different sizes. I pre-measure my oils and tape the recipe to the outside of each. They fit in my microwave, so I just grab and nuke when I'm ready to soap. Very easy.

:) thanks!

SudsyKat said:
chrisnkelley said:
...So you just put the pyrex right on the burner?

Definitely do not put the pyrex on the burner. It's glass. I put it in the microwave at 50% power for 30 sec. to 1 min. bursts. I check it after each time and stir as needed until all the oils are melted. Then, I take it out of the microwave and add the lye water to it (assuming my temperatures are where I want them to be).

Also, one thing I've noticed about cheap measuring cups (the cheap "glass" kind) is that they break VERY easily. Any accidental tap on the counter can cause them to break. My glass pyrex measuring cup is a very heavy, thick glass. I would imagine that a decent plastic one, like the ones other people have described on this thread, could work well also.

I have a thick stainless steel pot that I bought at Value Village for $2.00. Its heavy to hold while pouring but the two of us make soap anyway. With it being so thick it holds alot of heat and takes longer for the oils to cool down if I over heat which is all the time for me. I do think the idea of the glass measureing cups is awesome but I'm scared of them breaking.

i use plastic paint buckets too, and don't make large batches.

i do have a couple of stainless steel stock pots though (not the ones i cook with ;) ), that some day i may use, that i got in a hispanic grocery store, or the hispanic food isle in a larger grocery, i can't remember. i couldn't believe the prices -- like $5 for a good big one. don't know why they were so cheap only there.

i'm gonna switch to something with a handle too though, am looking for something heavy plastic with a handle and a real lip for pouring... pyrex scares me, though if i weren't scared of breakage it would be my first choice...

Great ideas everyone! It is nice to hear that everyone does things a bit differently. I read some things which basically made me think a stock pot was required and was the only choice. I definitely want something easier to poor, I think having a lip and handle would be great. I'm really going to have to keep my eye out for neat things now with so many options!

For small batches I use second hand Rubbermaid plastic pitchers... especially when I'm making two colors for a swirl.

I got my Stainless steel pots for free (mom had them and never used them) but if I had to buy more I would go to harbor freight. They sell a very inexpensive set... not to mention about a dozen other items I use in my soap making.

I also use plastic containers....I bought them at Sam's in the resturant equipment area. You'll see them....they have bright yellow lids and come in a package of 3. I love em'!! And they fit in my microwave nicely and I have one of the over the stove microwaves! They are tall but like I said they do fit in the microwave nicely and they are big enough to make big batches of soap if you want. Check em' out!!

Kamela said:
I also use plastic containers....I bought them at Sam's in the resturant equipment area. You'll see them....they have bright yellow lids and come in a package of 3. I love em'!! And they fit in my microwave nicely and I have one of the over the stove microwaves! They are tall but like I said they do fit in the microwave nicely and they are big enough to make big batches of soap if you want. Check em' out!!

Sounds like I need to make a trip to Sams. The closest is 45 minutes, but I think it may be worthwhile. I should be able to get some plastic containers/pitchers and stock pots there at a good price. :)

I hope that you find something you can use. I love the containers though they don't have a pour lip I find that they fits my needs well. I also have 8 cup measuring cups I got from a Corning Ware store at a mall but I find I don't use them as much unless I'm coloring the soap for swirling. They are great for that! Sometimes you can get a pretty good deal on them too at a Corning Ware outlet store. So you may want to check that out as well. I hope you find what you are looking for!!

PS. When you got to Sam's, don't forget to get some spatulas too!! :wink:

Back